Dh's 2Nd Decorated Cake, Please Look

Decorating By mkolmar Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 7:08pm by JulieB

mkolmar Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 28

Two weeks ago my DH decorated his first ever cake for our daughters birthday (Pikachu cake in my photos) He was so encouraged by what everyone though about his cake on here. He has been bitten by the cake bug and made our sons birthday cake yesterday, it was his second cake he's ever made and he chose to do a 3D Lightning McQueen (ambitious, I thought) Well, he ran out of time since he works crazy hours. He's not too happy with how it turned out.

He was wondering what you all think on CC about it. It's the Lightning McQueen cake in my photos.

27 replies
bashini Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 28

Hi mkolmar, I saw the cake and think it is brilliant! thumbs_up.gif You have got a very talented Hubby.

Well Done!

gottabakenow Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 28

wow that's amazing. second cake? icon_surprised.gif

mkolmar Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 28

I think it's good too. He just had bigger plans for it and ran out of time.
Thanks for the comments.

Michelle104 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:54am
post #5 of 28

i THINK HE DID AN AMAZING JOB! DD looked and saw that it was only #2 and said "If that's true then I don't stand a chance!!" icon_redface.gif

Great work!! I think you may have a business partner!! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Amia Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:06am
post #6 of 28

Umm, is okay that I'm a tad jealous of your DH's cakes? Maybe he can show me a thing or two? icon_biggrin.gif He did a great job. Even if he hadn't, he's taking on cakes that not even I would attempt after 8 months of decorating, let alone for my 1st and 2nd cake! Tell him he needs to make his own CC account and join the addiction!

mkolmar Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 28

Michelle104--I hope that I have a future business partner in the cake world, but he already runs his own IT business (fixes computers for other businesses) and works about 80+ hours a week so more than likely it won't happen. However, he did say many years down the road he wants to open up a small shop and help me run it.

amia1024--It's ok to be a tad jealous, I am. He's better than I am at fondant. He just picked up the knife carved the cake, iced it completely smooth and then placed the fondant on. It seemed eerily natural for him.

I wish he had his own CC account, but he doesn't want one because he said he'll get addicted. icon_lol.gif However, within the last few weeks he has been logging on as me and looking at the site.

Thanks everyone for the comments and support for his caking.

Michelle104 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 28

I don't know.....I don't think I would discount that "partnership" just yet. If this is only the second one you know that it's just gonna get worse and maybe he'll realize how much more fun and rewarding cake is as opposed to "IT" !!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

mkolmar Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:21pm
post #9 of 28

Michelle, my DH just called and said "I have this great idea for a cake..." so maybe your right icon_lol.gif

mommak Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:37pm
post #10 of 28

He did such an amazing job!!!!! Very very impressed icon_biggrin.gif

cakecastle Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:40pm
post #11 of 28

Great job! I look forward to seeing many more creations for your dh. He definately has a natural talent for it!

RRGibson Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:41pm
post #12 of 28

And what is supposed to be wrong with that cake?! It's sooo cute!

I wish I had a partner that could make a cake like that! I'd like to never touch fondant if I could get away with it.

butterflywings Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:42pm
post #13 of 28

I am TOTALLY jealous... My boys have been asking for me to make a 3d lightening mcqueen car and i haven't b/c i'm not confident in my carving skills (and i've been doing cakes for almost a year now). you're very talented hubby takes it on as his 2nd cake!!! can you see the green???

I think he's been biten by the bug, but it afraid to admit it! LOL

venefica Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:45pm
post #14 of 28

"jfkewjaorieufmal" that was my jaw hitting the keyboard!!! AMAZING WORK! And if that is only his 2nd cake I can't wait to see what the 3rd will look like! icon_smile.gif

aliciaL_77 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:53pm
post #15 of 28
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I wish he had his own CC account, but he doesn't want one because he said he'll get addicted. icon_lol.gif However, within the last few weeks he has been logging on as me and looking at the site.

I think it may be too late for that. He did a Great Job!

FromScratch Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:53pm
post #16 of 28

Oh he's good!!!!! He did such a great job!!!

sari66 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #17 of 28

He did a great job! He should be very proud

Donnagardner Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:11pm
post #18 of 28

Tell him great job. You are not married to Duff are you? icon_smile.gif

Jmtreu98 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:13pm
post #19 of 28

Will he give lessons?!?!

That is a great cake!

veronica970206 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:14pm
post #20 of 28

It looks like you have some tough competition!!!! He did an awesome job on that car!!! I love it!!!

Suzycakes Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:25pm
post #21 of 28

And just EXACTLY was he NOT happy about??? That cake is amazing!! As well as the first one he did!

UHM - and yes - I am a tad green with jealousy . ..

Doug Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:13pm
post #22 of 28

he's too humble!

tutorial please!

that's one sleek snazzy cake

yep-- time for him to join the addiction!

Zaxapi Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:12am
post #23 of 28

Wow that is a great job for a second cake. I think their right you have a new cake partner icon_smile.gif

Michelle104 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:24am
post #24 of 28
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Michelle, my DH just called and said "I have this great idea for a cake..." so maybe your right icon_lol.gif

SEEEE?????!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Just give it a little time sister!!!! icon_wink.gif

Bohnlo Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:44am
post #25 of 28

I wish I could make a cake that looked that good!!! He is a natural talent if this is only his 2nd cake. Are you sure he hasn't been baking behind your back? LOL :}

YAYI95 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:48am
post #26 of 28

Im so jealouse! I haven't had the nerve to try a 3D cake yet...Great job to be only his 2nd time....

mkolmar Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:25am
post #27 of 28

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to thank everyone for all of your comments and encouragement, it was a pretty fun cake to make, can't wait for the next one.... I guess a Backyardigans theme is in the planning, so the amount of detail is probably gonna be nuts...

You all pretty much helped cement the idea in me that I definitely want to keep making cakes, Melissa and I work great as a team, so we really might start making these for business if time allows... I just hope the business end doesn't take the fun out of doing it, like it did for me with computers...

Well, thanks again everyone, hopefully I'll post another one up soon! Jon

JulieB Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:08pm
post #28 of 28

I think he did a great job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%