Crisp Piping For Baked Meringues?

Decorating By AllCakedOut Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 3:49pm by AllCakedOut

AllCakedOut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllCakedOut Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,

I need to make a wedding cake for this weekend.. just found out this morning that there was a miscommunication, and where I said "meringue buttercream flowers", they were actually thinking BAKED meringue flowers.

Anyway, I set about piping out these flowers, and my meringue recipe is apparently waaay too soft for the definition they want. If you have the Martha Stewart Wedding Cakes book, you can see the one I mean - it's near the back, and entirely covered with these meringue flowers.

How on earth do you get the meringue to firm up enough to pipe roses?? I've tried refrigerating, adding more sugar.. no luck.

Does anyone have a suitable recipe, or hints on how to make this work? I've never done anything like this before!

Thanks inadvance!

6 replies
AllCakedOut Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 7

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/meringue-bouquet-cake is the cake I'm talking about, if it helps

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 7

pretty cake! I'm not sure if this will help. It's about the different types of meringue. http://www.baking911.com/howto/meringues.htm

mindywith3boys Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 7

Ok. it won't let me post the link. Just put baking911 in between the two ..

mindywith3boys Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 7

hmmm it won't even let me post that ok try b*a*k*i*n*g*9*1*1 with out the stars in between the two .. LOL

AllCakedOut Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 7

Weird.. but thanks for the link!

I ended up doing their swiss meringue, as it mentioned being very firm. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

It's going to take me forever to do it, but the first batch of actual roses is baking now. Much better! Thanks again!

AllCakedOut Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 7

I am done piping the flowers!!!

Had to announce it to the world. 4 tiers on this one - and they're 12, 14, 16, 18. Good lord. Tons of meringue flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%