Painting Airplanes On Royal Icing With Food Coloring

Baking By Phantom2 Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 1:46am by michellesArt

Phantom2 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 4

Hello , Im new to baking but enjoy the different types of things one can do with cookies and cakes (love to eat them too!....icon_smile.gif Anyway , Im an aviation artist and I want to try and make some NFSC airplane cookie bouquets. This will be my first time baking , but I think it will be a great Idea. My apprehension is using food coloring and or edible ink pens over RI. Some of the paint schemes have camouflage which will have colors right next to each other. Will they bleed into each other? One cant actually put a border around each color because it will take away from the paint scheme.

Does anyone out there have some ideas how to keep them separate without having a thin white (RI) line between them? or is it possible at all?

As a kid , I loved airplanes (still do! icon_smile.gif and I would have loved to have been given an airplane bouquet of my favorite airplanes & Helicopters.

Also , this is a GREAT site ! Thank you in advance for all the ideas and help that everyone has provided to this site! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
kimsmom Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 4

Here's a tip I use if I'm not sure what the RI will do, and I don't want to waste a cookie to find out. I will pour a base color of RI onto a flat surface covered with wax paper, and let it dry. (It will take less time to dry than on a cookie). Then I practice with color combinations to see if they bleed or not.
I do the same thing if I want to combine two colors while wet, this time not letting the first color dry.
Saves a cookie and my waist.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:19am
post #3 of 4

I was actually thinking about camouflage when I made my cookies on Saturday. My daughter likes pink camouflage. I think the wet on wet technique would work. You could outline the cookie (or the area on the cookie that will be camouflaged) with the lightest color in full strength (thick) royal icing. Then you could flood the cookie with a thin layer of the lightest color and then apply the two darker colors (flood consistency) over the light color in random patterns. This would give you the pattern you want while maintaining a smooth, unbroken surface. After letting the cookies dry for a few hours you can pipe details over the camouflage background.

I have several images on Flickr of my flip flop and cupcake cookies. http://flickr.com/photos/kim_thibodeaux/sets/72157605627233203/ The stripes and dots were done with the wet on wet technique. I used a squeeze bottle to apply the flood icing and a toothpick to coax it around when necessary.

I think I'll try camouflage on my next exploratory batch.

michellesArt Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:46am
post #4 of 4

if it's your first time with cookies and RI maybe try to keep it simple-RI takes a long time to dry but i've used the colour markers (food safe) before and like the effect-i actually have a fine black and a blunt (used a lot!!) as long as the RI is completely dry it shouldn't bleed and you can then "paint" on the camouflage-HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%