My Last Cake... Can You All Tell Me What Looks Off About It?

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 6:08pm by JulieB

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 35

I really don't like any of my cakes but this one is really bothering me. Maybe it's the theme (which would of been fun if I would of let it LOL). Maybe the colors I chose.. or the bows that I used...

For some reason the site won't let me put my cake pic right on this page.. says it's too big icon_sad.gif . I know it's not though icon_confused.gif

It's the gold one in my pics.

What looks off about it? Is it too busy? Tell me what I could of done different...

And please spare no details on what I could of done... I don't care I need to be critized on this cake!!!

I'm gonna try to put a link now to the cake..
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1232612

Thanks for your input.. because right at this moment I am questioning my cake skills and am thinking of cancelling a wedding cake because of it icon_sad.gif

34 replies
gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 35

what are you talking about?? i love the melting snowman. it's awesome, not sure what you're seeing in that I'm not... thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 35

I think the design is great; nice crisp ribbons and bows, (and the snowman is very cute!)
The only thing if you wanted to 'scream' Christmas, you might have had a more bright red-and-green ribbon, and maybe some holly or a poinsettia.

Cancel that wedding cake, and we'll pelt you with melted snowballs!

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 35

Okay, if you quit, I definitely quit!!! I would love to have my cakes turn out like your "worst" ones! I see nothing wrong with your cake whatsoever! I love how you dressed up the board. And the theme is really cute! Quit being so hard on yourself and keep turning out those fabulous creations!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 35

OK, first of all, I could never make anything close to how gorgeous your cake is so you cannot quit, because I'm not quitting either. icon_smile.gif

Gorgeous cake - I love the look of the dark grape with the aged gold, totally cute with the melting snowman and his message. Sounds like you had a great client with a fun sense of humor.

Ok, if there is absolutey one thing I could suggest (and let me tell you, this is a stretch), the bow loop on the left looks a little squishy. But that is totally the only suggestion I could give and who am I to talk - I've never even attempted a fondant/GP bow. icon_smile.gif

BTW - your cake just went into my faves so no more talk about how you hate it!!!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:53pm
post #6 of 35

I love it!!! I agree the only thing I'd "maybe" add is some holly..

wgoat5 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:53pm
post #7 of 35

Oh I am not going to quit doing cakes.... just don't think I am WEDDING material yet LOL... too much is at stake doing them.. if I can't get a birthday or other celebration cake right why should I even think of a wedding.. were I could possible make someone upset on their beautiful day.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:58pm
post #8 of 35

The cake is unbelievable! I wish I could do that good of job! We are always our worst critics! Remember; custom cakes wow people no matter how bad you think you did. (trust me I know)
So go get some good self-esteem (maybe it's tucked away in your closet. icon_smile.gif ) and make that wedding cake!
Jen...

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:58pm
post #9 of 35

You are completely ready to tackle a wedding cake. Your clients will love the finished product. You can do it! icon_smile.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:58pm
post #10 of 35

Oh, Christi, it's adorable. Don't beat yourself up about it! It was exactly what he was looking for, which was a very unusual theme. Great job!

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:59pm
post #11 of 35

First of all, that cake is gorgeous!! Your bows are perfect, and your boxes are soooo square!! I love it!!
thumbs_up.gif
I see what you are saying about something being off. I don't think it has anything to do with the cake though, it's the theme. Maybe poinsettias as the flowers (although the ones you did were beautiful!icon_wink.gif ), and a few more Christmas-y items would have solidified the theme a little more.
I think that it's great as is though, and I'm sure he will love it. icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:02pm
post #12 of 35

Ughh I agree.. I made that bow a week ago.. I knew after I made it I should of redone it.. but didn't (tooooooo lazy LOL)

The reason I picked those colors were because it was for a man... The gold I was kinda pleased with ... and I did a gold on gold design because I love the Christmas paper you see like that...I also had problems with the placement of the diamonds icon_sad.gif .. which also made me think .. How in the heck do people make them look perfect???

I think I should of left the flowers off of it... I think now it looks to busy maybe?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:02pm
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Oh I am not going to quit doing cakes.... just don't think I am WEDDING material yet LOL... too much is at stake doing them.. if I can't get a birthday or other celebration cake right why should I even think of a wedding.. were I could possible make someone upset on their beautiful day.

I think it looks great. I love the colors. I don't know what your talking about with the bow. Do the wedding cake, let your talent flow, don't stress about doing it. Embrace the moment, and let your talent come through.

Mike

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:04pm
post #14 of 35

I think the cake is cute, and I love that board. The only thing I think might be a little off about it is that the colors give a more wine and cheese feel rather than Christmas.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:06pm
post #15 of 35

I see nothing at all "off" with that cake! It is beautiful! Do not DARE think of cancelling the wedding cake or any other cake for that matter!

jenbashore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbashore Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:08pm
post #16 of 35

Christi...I love this cake!!! You are so talented and creative. I don't think you have a bad cake in your collection. I would hate to see you turn down a wedding cake. Maybe you are getting a case of the burnouts? Your work is beautiful!!!

wgoat5 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:13pm
post #17 of 35

I thank you all for your help.

Maybe it is burnout? Maybe I need to go lay by the pool? LMAO

I just like to hear from other cakers what they would do different icon_smile.gif

I also agree.. the colors give it more of a wine and cheese feel...

Ugghhh I need to learn what manly colors are LOL

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:25pm
post #18 of 35

" ...I also had problems with the placement of the diamonds .. which also made me think .. How in the heck do people make them look perfect??? "
The diamonds look fine to me, but I think most people use an impression mat....... I couldn't free hand anything and make it look as good as your s!

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:28pm
post #19 of 35

Christi--that cake is beautiful!! You are totally ready for a wedding cake. The colours are beautiful!!

Go put your feet up, watch some tv and have a martini--okay it's only 6:30 in the morning over here but somewhere it's lunchtime lol

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:06pm
post #20 of 35

That cake is GORGEOUS! I would LOVE to have it in my galleries as mine. Of course, I can't because I am not as good as you.

The only thing that seems a little off to me, is the flowers. I don't think that they seem busy, but seem to summery to share a cake with a snowman. I love the snowman, and the flowers, but not necessarily together. I think maybe some burgendy poinsettas or something would look a little more in season.

I LOVE it though. Totally inspiring.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:37pm
post #21 of 35

The only thing I would have added was some forest green to compliment the gold and burgundy. I always make sure I have three colors on my cake to balance.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:29pm
post #22 of 35

I think that the cake is beautiful! Very well done.. and the snowman is so cute.

The only thing that seems 'off' to me is the cake board. It is decorated very nicely but having the board the came color as the cake makes the cake blend instead of pop.

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:19pm
post #23 of 35

I think the only thing "off" are your eyes! LOL! That cake is perfect.

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 8:35pm
post #24 of 35

Christi, you really want my opinion? I think that you are a special kind of nutz icon_lol.gif (thankfully, the good kind, but still nutz)!

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:18am
post #25 of 35

I agree with MissMeg that only thing I see is a 3rd color missing. How about removing the flowers and either replacing them with drk green holly leaves or add the green as an extra border around the bottom of each cake. This will help with dinas27 response of the cake and board being the same color. You know - think along the lines of what Cakery does with her cute border trims!

But I also agree with everyone else -- the cake is just as cute as it can be -- leave it as is or change it up a bit -- either way it looks great!

Suze

wgoat5 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:24am
post #26 of 35

Thank you all for your critiquing icon_smile.gif

I truly believe that is how we learn from our mistakes... I delivered this cake on Sunday. The man did love it. I just didn't icon_sad.gif . I know now to break up the cake from the board. I LOVE to decorate the board and truly believe that the way you display your cake even improves the look of the final product.. but the same color board and cake doesn't work and I see this now LOL..

Thank you all SOOOOO much for your kindness and honesty icon_smile.gif

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:36am
post #27 of 35

ok so i have studied the picture and i think i have worked out what is putting you'off' as you said. The cake is fantastic I think the only issue that is kind of throwing everything else off might be the top bow? I think if it was bigger and fatter the cake would have been absolutely perfect, I mean this could totaly just be me as i have a thing for big bright and beautifull things and i do make an overstressed effort with my gift ribbons being over the top so if this is not to your liking just ignore me!
but yes in my opinion the only thing i would change is the very top bow -which if you look in my cake photos you will see a mad hatter with one VERY BIG bow and you will understand my love for the over the top icon_lol.gif hehehe but as I said that is just my opinion and other than that it is a gorgeous gorgeous cake and you would be fantatic at wedding cakes stop putting yourself down right now!!!!!

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:14pm
post #28 of 35

Okay, okay....you're just fishing for compliments, right? Because that cake is wonderful!!! I love the masculinity of it. The bow and the colors are great! I think you did a fantastic job on it!!

We're all our own worst critics! For myself, if I don't like the cake, I don't even take a picture of it!! I just pretend it never even happened!

Great job!!

wgoat5 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:20pm
post #29 of 35

Robz I take a picture of EVERY one of my cakes even if I don't like them. Then when I don't like what I see I ask.... Like this time.. Something was throwing the cake off to me. Now I come to realize... not enough colors and the board being the same color didn't help ... so if I don't ask then I don't know icon_wink.gif right? icon_smile.gif

That is why I love this site.. it has helped me grow and realize what doesn't work and what does icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:35pm
post #30 of 35

I love the cake I especially love the board I really love your style.

I think the reason this cake does not settle well with you is maybe because you decorated it as if it was a cake and lost the package-ness of it. All of your elements are outstanding. When you put them all together you have a stunning cake that at one time looked like a stack of packages.

I mean of course it still looks like packages--and most stacks of packages might have a melted snowman by them but not the flowers like that. Do you get what I mean?

And so yes, the board being the same color makes it look more like a cake than the illusion you meant it to be. So you do have two themes running there--stunner package cakes decorated like a fantastic tier cake.

I mean your work is so clean and good this minor point pretty much doesn't matter. But I was wondering if that was it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%