How Do I Learning Airbrushing?

Decorating By joy5678 Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 5:47pm by buttercream_dreams

joy5678 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:35am
post #1 of 8

My sister wants to learn how to airbrush (with paint) I want to learn how to airbrush with cake color. How did you learn the technique? Are there schools, videos, books, anything or anywhere to learn besides trial & error? Thank you for sharing your experiences & expertise with this method. We are anxious to get started.

7 replies
hellie0h Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:21am
post #2 of 8

Here is an online site that offers free lessons.
http://www.howtoairbrush.com/

I bought Roland Winbeckler book on airbrushing...didn't help me that much. Of course I have the problem with double action, holding it down and back...just like I can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

zoraya Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:59am
post #3 of 8

I got that book too and it didn't help me any either. I also took a class at the Mid-Atlantic cake show but they were using a single action and mine is a double action so I got to learn how the techniques were done but not how to use my airbrush. I'll be checking out the link you sent but the best thing to do is just play with it.

Buckeye Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 8

I also just purchased an airbrush, I've been practicing by using a coloring book. icon_rolleyes.gif

joy5678 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 8

What is the difference in a single & double action airbrush? Which is the easiest to use & which do you prefer? Also, thanks for the web site & the info. icon_smile.gif

sweetcakes Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:24am
post #6 of 8

the airbrush sites will go over the different airbrushes and terminology. but a single action always has air flowing through it you just pull the lever back to control the colour, a double action you have to push down the lever to control the air and then pull it back to control the color flow. since i started on a single action its easier for me, had i started on a double action that would be the one i prefer. so its personal choice on that.

joy5678 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 8

Hmmmm, the double sounds more complicated----I can see my walls, counters & floors painted with many glorious colors! icon_biggrin.gif

buttercream_dreams Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:47pm
post #8 of 8

I actually started airbrushing for nails (i am also an athome nail tech) and started out on a double action, i then used a single action in a grocery store bakery (this is what they used for all of their cake airbrushing) and like the double action wayyy better. also having invested in a higher quality compressor where you can control the psi really helps for different spray techniques i think..but still to this day, i am learning to airbrush, i still suck at it quite a bit. i would love to take a valuable class or see a valuable dvd that would actually help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%