How Do I Match Color On Batches?

Decorating By joy5678 Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 11:54pm by joy5678

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:29am
post #1 of 4

If you are covering a complete 3 or 4 tier wedding cake in a colored fondant, how in the world do you get all the batches to match? I make my own MMF & just kneading 1 batch gets tiresome. Haven't done this yet but wondered what you have tried that could make it easier & maybe faster? Also do you charge more for this than white only? Just wondering.

3 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:25am
post #2 of 4

This is what I like best about using Americolor liquid gels (sorry if I sound like a commercial). I can count drops of color used, and then use the same amount next time.

For instance, if I need to make a certain shade of blue-green, I can count the drops of blue and green I used to achieve the color, then use that amount again, as long as the batch sizes are exactly the same.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 4

You can also over color a small amount, say make a cup and a half really bright pink. Then cut the fondant into 3rds or 4ths, what ever you need, and cover them in plastic. Then you can use a piece to color each batch. And you'll end up with the same light pink for each batch.

HTH

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 4

That is soooo simple---I shoulda thunked of that! icon_rolleyes.gif Duh! See I just need some sweet cakers to take me by the hand sometimes! Thanks, I appreciate you! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%