Transporting Gumpaste Decorations On A Plane In One Piece

Decorating By oceanspitfire Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 5:57am by oceanspitfire

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:13am
post #1 of 3

Ok so it is possible? I have to do 100 gumpaste gerbera daisies for August 30th and will need to take them with me on the plane, as I won't have enough time when I get there to make all 100 in time for the wedding.
So how to transport/pack on a plane so they don't break? (I will obviously make extra in case of breakage- and I am bringing my tools with me because I'm making the 100 cupcakes and the cake when I get there).
Oh and maybe on a side note, how long before should I have them all made so that by the time they're being packed they're bone dry so they don't squish/deform?

Weight/height restrictions not withstanding- as I'm definitely going to have to pay extra for pans/drums/etc

Thanks in advance!

2 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:52am
post #2 of 3

When I transport gum paste items, I nest and/or wrap them in toilet paper. I've carried them on planes and honestly never had any breakage.

I think gerberas would be dry enough in 2-3 days.

If I were doing this, I'd have 2-3 sturdy, lidded, full sheet cake boxes (hopefully you could get one layer of 50+ flowers in each box) loosely packed with lots of fluffy toilet paper on the bottom. I'd nest the gerberas in the TP and then loosely add another layer of TP over the top of the flowers. I'd tie the boxes together with string so that I could open them for inspection, if necessary.

HTH
Rae

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:57am
post #3 of 3

That is awesome info! Thank you.
I think I shall take a few of my practice ones and package them in a similar way, and then transport them in the car on my next trip down a bumpy road or over a bunch of speed bumps or something icon_lol.gif or even toss it around a bit to see how they hold up lol. Last thing I want is to show up there 5 days before the wedding with 100 broken gerberas icon_cry.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

When I transport gum paste items, I nest and/or wrap them in toilet paper. I've carried them on planes and honestly never had any breakage.

I think gerberas would be dry enough in 2-3 days.

If I were doing this, I'd have 2-3 sturdy, lidded, full sheet cake boxes (hopefully you could get one layer of 50+ flowers in each box) loosely packed with lots of fluffy toilet paper on the bottom. I'd nest the gerberas in the TP and then loosely add another layer of TP over the top of the flowers. I'd tie the boxes together with string so that I could open them for inspection, if necessary.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%