Mini Cakes

Decorating By kutabby Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 7:18pm by LeanneW

kutabby Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:24am
post #1 of 3

I want to do some mini cakes for an upcoming event. I'm just venturing out from doing friends and family cakes to doing paid cakes. My cousin (she insists I have a future in cakes) is having me do desserts for her book club in a few weeks and I was thinking of doing some mini cakes, that way they can try out the different flavors and see several different decorating techniques. Anyways, I don't want to invest in another pan until I need to, so I was wondering if I could get away w/ using my cupcake pan. I would turn them over and cover w/ fondant and decorate. Or would that look like a completely odd shape?
Also, I'm making several different things, so I was wondering how far in advance I can make these? It will only be my 3rd time using fondant icon_smile.gif

2 replies
JoAnnB Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 3

You could use cupcakes, but know that mini cakes take more work.

LeanneW Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 3

you could use a cutter instead of mini cake pans (which are outrageously expensive)

I have cutters that I bought a ta cake deco store that are about 2.5" high so you could cut through a 2" high cake layer.

I have them in 1.5", 2", and 3" rounds. I bake a sheet cake and cut out the circles. they were a couple of $ each.

You could also bake sheets or squares and cut them into 2" squares, not extra cutters or pans required.

Quote by @%username% on %date%