Perfect Round Cakes

Business By kharvey Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 9:14pm by cheeseball

kharvey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kharvey Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:44am
post #1 of 16

I have been decorating for 8 years now and have NEVER been able to get a round cake to have even edges. Please see the picture below. The edges are dipped in our jutting out. I hope that I am explaining this well, I'm not exactly sure how to word my explanation. When I look at cakes in the local bakeries, even the grocery stores, their edges are nice, crisp and even. Please help!!
LL

15 replies
LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:54am
post #2 of 16

hmm, that cake looks pretty good to me, but I see what you mean on the bottom righand middle right side.

Is the cake underneath uneven or just your frosting?

If it is the frosting there are many demonstrations on how to get smooth buttercream on you tube. I personally like to frost the top first, pushing the frosting over the edges. Then I frost the side and I end up with extra sticking up above the cake. Then I pull in toward the center of the cake to smooth the extra stickeing up. does this make any sense.

There are definately people on here who are more expert and could probably give you better directions.

brogi2baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brogi2baker Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:59am
post #3 of 16

I use a drywall spackle knife, the 4-5 inch size. It is SO much easier to ice and get a smooth look. best cake tool I own and got it at home depot for $5.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:19am
post #4 of 16

do you use the icer tip?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:05am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by brogi2baker

I use a drywall spackle knife, the 4-5 inch size. It is SO much easier to ice and get a smooth look. best cake tool I own and got it at home depot for $5.

Have you ever tried the plastic ones? I think they work better. They aren't as heavy as the metal ones. I also use a 12" for the tops.

Mike

Mike1394 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:07am
post #6 of 16

Do you wrap, and freeze, refridgerate?

Mike

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:20am
post #7 of 16

I use the bench scraper ... the blade is much firmer than our spatula and it's easier to hold it perfectly straight up and down. As I teach kids how to decorate (for class projects and for 4-H), I've noticed how easy it is for our hand to almost-naturally lean in toward the top of the cake.

Bench scraper and turntable ... perfect edges everytime! (then Melvira it, of course!)

kharvey Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:16pm
post #8 of 16

I use the icer tip sometimes, but the results are the same.

I have never wrapped, frozen and refrigerated before. I am assuming that is pre-icing to make the cake firmer?

I will try the scraper/spackler to see if that helps. Thanks so much for your advice.

Mike1394 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:31pm
post #9 of 16

I'll freeze my cakes. So if I don't pay attention (most of the time) I put them out of round. I refidgerate atfer I crumb coat. this will firm them up.

Mike

kharvey Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:34pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks, I will try that, too.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:47pm
post #11 of 16

You could also try the upside down icing technique...I believe there is a tutorial on this site.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:45pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Gifts4Lisa

You could also try the upside down icing technique...I believe there is a tutorial on this site.

that was gonna be my suggestion. i used that method when i need my cake to be near perfect : )

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:53pm
post #13 of 16

Besides the spackle or bench scraper, a business card or other plastic card works good for fixing tiny imperfections in the top or side edges...

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:57pm
post #14 of 16

I highly reccommend Sugarshack's Perfecting Buttercream DVD. It's well worth the small investment! Don't wait around like I did! Just get it! thumbs_up.gif

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:05pm
post #15 of 16

I use a pastry scaper that has a sharp 90 degree angle... I cut down my cakes about 1/4 inch (so the cake board sticks out)... I pile on the icing and then with the bench scraper flat against the bottom of my turntable and pressed against the side of the board, I give it a twirl.. that gives me perfectly straight sides.. (now getting the top edges even is another story - I'm working on sugarshacks method)

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:14pm
post #16 of 16

Ditto the metal bench scraper, I love that thing - I used to have a plastic one a long time ago, and then realized that someone had taken a scrubby pad to it so I had these interesting little lines in my frosting icon_rolleyes.gif To get my top edges perfectly smooth, I learned to not be bossed by the cake and to frost higher than I actually needed so I get a level top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%