Baking Somewhere Else?

Business By something_sweet Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 3:25am by shaloop

something_sweet Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:24am
post #1 of 10

I am looking into becoming legal and have the opportunity to work for myself but out of a commercial kitchen, which is already licensed by the state. I would be paying a fee to the owners to do so, but I am not sure how this would be set up with the state, being that it is already an established business. They are caterers and it is used for that daily.

Does anyone else do this? I am in PA, just wondering if anyone would know how this would be handled.

9 replies
karateka Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:22am
post #2 of 10

I'd pm beccakelly....I think her business operates that way. I hope I spelled her username right! icon_redface.gif

something_sweet Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 10

thanks! icon_smile.gif

kdehtan Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 10

I live in TX and I am in the same boat as you. Did you get in information on this? I would LOVE some help too!!


indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:58am
post #5 of 10

I know each state is different, but check with your health dept.

When I went looking for space to rent, I found one willing to do it and I went to the HD to get started with what they need. They told me that even tho' the facility had said yes, they'd rent me space, the HD still had to approve the deal. The logic is that if that facility is already operating a full capacity, the HD needs to determine if it's food-safe for two entities to work in the same space (food storage, enough work space, will foods cross-contaminate, etc.).

If your state operates this way and if the caterer is running a full time biz and the kitchen is in use most of the time, your HD may or may not give you the ok.

At least check it out...

Kandee Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:19am
post #6 of 10

Also contact your state's Dept of Agriculture. They can give you information.

beccakelly Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:55am
post #7 of 10


i do rent space from a caterer, it works out really well. in my state i didn't need additional inspections or licensing because the facility was licensed. but ohio is a bit easier i think when it comes to food biz laws. i pay $350.00 a month, use her space and equipment. i buy my own ingredients, and i have recently bought my own work table and storage shelf (i was running out of room with the storage space she gave me). i did talk to her first of course. we get along really well, which helps. feel free to pm me if you want!

shaloop Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:10am
post #8 of 10

I share a kitchen with a caterer. They had been there for several years and I moved in a few months ago. We have seperate Health Dept inspections (though they're usually done at the same time.) I have my own food safety certificate, my own tax id number and my own health dept id. They do check for food safety with us sharing a space and make sure that it's possible to work all that out. Previously I shared a kitchen with a tamale business and it was the same way. Never had any problems. Now, with the caterer, the only problem is that occasionally we both had orders/event at the same time and have to juggle use of the oven. But we talk about our schedules and work it out.

something_sweet Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 10:38am
post #9 of 10

what state are you in shaloop?

shaloop Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:25am
post #10 of 10

Mississippi. Gulf Coast .

Quote by @%username% on %date%