Another Pricing Question???

Decorating By vera Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 9:59pm by indydebi

vera Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:01am
post #1 of 12

What to charge for a Cinderella cake: the base is one lay 10" cake with the doll cake on top (two cake mixes) a total of 3 cake mixes. Is $50 to much to charge. Thank you for all your help.

11 replies
Tellis12 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:10am
post #2 of 12

I would say no, it's not too much. But the best way to determine cost is to determine a price per serving and figure out how many servings you will get from the cake. You may also add in custom work, like gumpaste flowers and such which you may want to charge more for.

indydebi Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:43am
post #3 of 12

A 12x18 sheet cake is 3 mixes and I get $75 for that.

Bear in mind that a doll cake is a specialty cake, not a run-of-the-mill cake, and you can't really get one of these at any 'ole bakery. icon_rolleyes.gif

kharvey Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:57am
post #4 of 12

The grocery stores in my area charge $39.99 for a doll cake alone. To top that, they don't take the time that you would to make sure that it is perfect. I would charge AT LEAST $50.

aliciaL_77 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:01am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I wish I could get that here... that is the size I do most often

1nanette Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:02am
post #6 of 12

Not enough. I charge 50.00 for a basic doll cake, the pink and purple one in my photos, and that does not include a Mattel Barbie. Add 10.00 for real Barbie Doll. Doll pick is included.

doublecz1103 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:02am
post #7 of 12

what i do is figure out exactly how much each item costs per piece (say 1 doz eggs is $2.00 that would be around 0.17 an egg). once i have all of my ingredients figured out i multiply that total by 3.5 (to figure in cost of time,effort,utilities)...then i add on any addition fees if they had custom work or specialty items.. i usually round up to the nearest whole number. hope this helps

worldofdan Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:

:

WOW!! I only charge $45 and I get SO many people who won't buy them from me because they think I am too high in my price.. of course I also live in Michigan and you can easily stop by Sam's club, walmart, Meijer, Family Fare, and get a cheap (nasty tasting icon_smile.gif ) cake for $20-30...

1nanette Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofdan

Quote:

:

WOW!! I only charge $45 and I get SO many people who won't buy them from me because they think I am too high in my price.. of course I also live in Michigan and you can easily stop by Sam's club, walmart, Meijer, Family Fare, and get a cheap (nasty tasting icon_smile.gif ) cake for $20-30...

Im in Michigan too and I also charge 45.00 for 1/2 sheet and I do get a lot of people who think thats a lot. But once they see my cakes and feel the weight of a real cake they realize 45.00 is well worth the price.

worldofdan Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nanette

Quote:

Quote:

:

Im in Michigan too and I also charge 45.00 for 1/2 sheet and I do get a lot of people who think thats a lot. But once they see my cakes and feel the weight of a real cake they realize 45.00 is well worth the price.

That's good to know! I just found this site and I have been "wandering" around it, lurking icon_smile.gif and I am just amazed at the cakes.. many are very beautiful, but pricey!! People who know me and know my cakes are willing to pay the price that I charge... I use 4 cake mixes for my 12X18 and 3 for my 11X15. All my cakes are very heavy so I have to make sure my boards are sturdy enough!!!

junebuggey Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:02pm
post #11 of 12

WOW!! I only charge $45 and I get SO many people who won't buy them from me because they think I am too high in my price.. of course I also live in Michigan and you can easily stop by Sam's club, walmart, Meijer, Family Fare, and get a cheap (nasty tasting icon_smile.gif ) cake for $20-30...[/quote]

I say to customers that you get what you pay for and if you want to serve dreg cake, the choice is yours.

You are providing a custom cake where the baking is fresh - not frozen for months, quality materials, and no preservatives and chemicals added. If the customer has no taste then why would sell yourself cheap. Your time and talent are valuable as a custom baker/cake designer, you need to see your value! Work smarter not harder!!

Junebuggey

indydebi Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:59pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:

Quote:

:

I have a Kroger and a Walmart within 2 and 3 minutes from me; a Sam's Club and a Meijer is 10 minutes one direction and both are also 20 minutes another direction. I'm surrounded by cheaper cakes.

But they are "cheap" cakes.

Sales and marketing is Job One, folks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%