Cake Boards - Fancy, Plain, Or Does It Really Matter?

Decorating By Acts238girl Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 12:35am by mamacc

Acts238girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acts238girl Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:24am
post #1 of 9

I'm in the middle of a debate here - and I need some opinions! What do you use for cake boards? Just standard white cardboard, or do you really do it up? We've gone so far as to put material ($8/yard) on a large cake board, but now we're talking shadowboxes, satin, etc. How much is to much for a cake? Do you think it "takes away" from the cake to have a super-fancy cake board, or do you think the industry doesn't put enough thought into how a beautiful cake board can make all the difference? Thanks for your opinion!

8 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:31am
post #2 of 9

Personally, cake boards are my pet peeve.

I like a well decorated board, it should blend with the cake and compliment not take away from the cake.

What i really cant stand is the cakes (and you see alot of wedding cakes like this) where there is a wonderful cake, and then its slapped on a sliver cake drum with not a thought to it at all.

To me its like getting all dressed up and putting on a pair of sneakers cause you don't want to go to the effort to walk in heals.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:54am
post #3 of 9

I feel the cake board should look like it is part of the cake and be decorated accordingly. Check out the cakes on pinkcakebox.com nearly every cake is in a perfectly coordinated board. It makes a huge difference, I think.

Acts238girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acts238girl Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 9

I checked them out, but, with the exception of a few, all thier boards are very basic. Either gold or silver covered. This is what I expected though, from a cake board. I even checked out websites from Beverly Hills, CA! Almost all have basic silver and gold boards - nothing to elaborate.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 9

I love to make cake boards, plateaus. The first cake on my site has a custom made stand with mini lights in it.
http://acmecakes.com/images/PICT0908.JPG
I think cool boards are really cool. Honestly I love the math and the construction and stuff. There's a thing on my site in The Library of the House of Acme and it's the story of my daughter's wedding cake and I go into detail about making that stand.

I have a round foam plateau with scooped out sides all ready for some fondant decor to rival any silver plateau. Unfortunately I don't take orders but it's all ready none the less.

I think special boards, plateaus and stands are at least as important as the cake. The cake can suck a little and the ambiance created by the board will carry it...a little anyway...it's a nice ace in the hole y'know. Of course all done in advance of the cake.

You hit a nerve with me. I think this subject is mostly overlooked and really vital for the biggest bang for your cake.

http://acmecakes.com/images/rachels22.jpg
That stand is all textured like tooled leather but you can't see it from the photo. My piping is not perfect but you don't notice so much--the stand helps carry things.

I mean this cake
http://thumb1.webshots.net/t/55/455/1/15/35/2483115350054976741dnrkRp_th.jpg
is just a quarter sheet but I love the starry board under this one!! The rockets red glare stuff is pate a chox with sugar sprinkles on it then stuck on bamboo skewers.

I love cool boards!! icon_biggrin.gif

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 9

For me it's a cost issue. I'd love to spend time doing the boards up real nice but it's just not profitable....especially when you remember they are just going to throw it away once the cake is gone. I try to make my boards compliment my cakes by using different colored/designed wrapping papers and then covering the top where the cake sits with contact paper so it's food safe. I've also used fabric ribbons around the edges for a little something extra. I prefer to use actual wooden boards my DH has cut out for me in various sizes but it is a bit of a challenge to get them back so if I don't know the person then they get several layers of the traditional white cardboard ones (though I don't find them nearly as sturdy and they tend to bend when lifting the cake).
I think the reasoning behind the generic cake drums is the fact that they can be purchased in bulk, don't require any messing with, are fairly cheap and are widely accepted....I could be wrong though.
It wouldn't be that hard I guess to use those as a base but maybe dress them up a bit. They could be covered with fondant or at the very least have some ribbon or something on the edges to make them look a little more dressed up. thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 9

Well yeah I agree Chrissy. I charged the bride $100 for the stand with all the different shaped separations. Yeah for sure it's a cost issue.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 9

you want examples of amazing cake boards? look at wgoat5's photos. i love them.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:35am
post #9 of 9

I think a nice cake board makes a big difference!! I always try to use one to compliment my cakes...especially with sculpted cakes! My favorite things to use are scrapbook paper covered in clear contact or fondant covered cake boards. Check out my cakes if you want to see examples...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%