Switching Regular Ink To Edible Ink

Business By gracecakes Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 4:46pm by Carolynlovescake

gracecakes Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:55am
post #1 of 6

The printer i have at home in regular use, takes edible ink. The place to order the ink says not to switch them out back and forth because the residue from the regular ink could contaminate it. I don't mean to cut corners, but is this just a over exaggerated risk, or can this really make someone sick.

5 replies
MaisieBake Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:28am
post #2 of 6

I'm not quite sure how to put this nicely.

Would you feed your children printer ink?

Kitchen_Witch Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:17am
post #3 of 6

The printer will have residual ink in it from whatever you used it for last. So if you use it to print regular ink, then put in an edible ink cartridge, the printer is going to have some printer ink still in it. Anything you print will get the residual printer ink and then the edible ink.

I don't know if I would even recommend running it out of regular ink and then switching to edible. Odds are there will always be trace amounts of regular ink coming thru, and honestly if I found out I bought a cake from someone who used "dirty" equipment I'd be pissed. So I wouldn't do it. (not saying you would do that. icon_biggrin.gif just pointing out how it might look from the other side)

TexasSugar Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:53am
post #4 of 6

I have heard that you can take a used printer and turn it into an edible printer, but you have to change out the print heads. This is to go to edible and never go back though.

I wouldn't switch them back and forth.

gracecakes Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you everyone.
Like I said I knew it would sound bad to even ask the question, but I truely didn't know if the residue was a lot, if I could have it all run out, if I can clean it, or whatever before use. I am searching now to figure out whether or not to buy the amizon.com canon printer or to use the HP edible color I finally found online for my printer. I would never put my customers at risk and of course not my own children. No shame in asking a question even if it sounds stupid. Thanks again.

Carolynlovescake Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 6

Not a stupid question at all!!!

The stupidity comes in not asking and just doing. icon_lol.gif

Now you know something you didn't before.

No harm, no foul.

Quote by @%username% on %date%