Has Anyone Made This Cupcake Cake?

Decorating By born2bake Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 7:25pm by SugarMama602

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:45am
post #1 of 42

Has anyone made this cupcake cake? I'm wondering how much buttercream to use, how much to charge, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

B2B
LL

41 replies
fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:00am
post #2 of 42

IS it made with the Wilton giant cupcake pan ?

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:01am
post #3 of 42

i made one although not as fancy as that one..i have it uploaded here on cc..i would charge at least $50. It's easier than it looks at least to me lol

Regarding amount of buttercream, I couldn't tell you exact amount, but i made a small batch made with 2 lbs of powdered sugar

floophs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floophs Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:07am
post #4 of 42

Assuming it is the Wilton cupcake pan, I would like to know how many it will serve.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:23am
post #5 of 42

The instruction sheet that came with the Wilton pan should say how many it will serve x 2 = what you want to charge for your party cakes. I get $2.00 per serving for simple ones. Hope this helps.

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:33am
post #6 of 42

The Wilton pan says it serves 10-12 and holds 10 cups of cake mix!I cant remember how much Icing it took ! But its in my pic,s and I had a big fluffly top on mine so prob used a lot more icing then the one posted !

jukesbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jukesbox Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:40am
post #7 of 42

Okay, the million dollar question....

How the heck would you cut the thing to serve?

Did you know they also have a small version of that pan too? I think the pan makes 3. I just saw them at Michaels this week.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:42am
post #8 of 42

I tried making the giant cupcake in the Wilton pan. Maybe I did something wrong. But the top got finished way before the bottom. This leads to believe that maybe you have to bake it in two stages. Any suggestions?

floophs Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:50am
post #9 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessbaker

I tried making the giant cupcake in the Wilton pan. Maybe I did something wrong. But the top got finished way before the bottom. This leads to believe that maybe you have to bake it in two stages. Any suggestions?

I just did a search on this today because I saw the pan at JoAnn's for the first time yesterday and thought it looked adorable. Anyways, there were several that said you should bake it in 2 different stages as the top does get done a lot faster than the bottom. One person also said that she recommended putting 4 cups of batter in each side...any more and it's too much. Hope this helps.

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:50am
post #10 of 42

I made it and mine baked with no Problem! I did use a box mix and not the recipe they have on the paper though ! I also cut it by slicing it from top to bottom( up and down ) I sliced it in half from top to bottom and then layed each half with the cut side down and then made slices from there . it worked real well ! I also have the small pan to but havent used it yet !

onceuponacake Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:57am
post #11 of 42

10-12sevings? when i brought it over to our friends house, we had 9 people there and not even half the cake was served and everyone was given a generous slice.

remember its not just about servings only but the time it takes you to decorate and the design.

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:59am
post #12 of 42

onceuponacake. I was just posting what the paper that came with my pan said ! I cant remember how many I got !

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:22am
post #13 of 42

i made this cake and am still learning about the amount of batter to use. it did take a long time to bake. to cut it i removed the top and cut each piece seperately into slices. everyone loved it..............

onceuponacake Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:31am
post #14 of 42

hi fiddlesticks....i never read my paper icon_lol.gif

i thought it was a huge cake though

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:31am
post #15 of 42

I wanted to buy one of those pans, but now I am scared to buy one after reading these forums, maybe I will start out small and get the pan with the 3. I lovethe look of both pans and they look adorable, I would just hate to have one half dry as a bone and the other part, either done just right or under done and have mostly batter.

Speaking of batter has anyone ever eaten at Cici's pizza, I do not know if it is just the restaurant here or if it is everywhere, but man alive, you get one of their brownies, and it is mostly batter, has anyone ever experienced this??? My kids loved it, but I was thinking is this safe? LOL

Veronica

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:34am
post #16 of 42

I have made several of these cakes and I learned the first time that you really do need to bake each half separately because the bottom alone can take up 1 box mix and the top cooks much faster than the bottom. As far as buttercream goes it depends on how you decorate it. I recently made one and injected filling into the bottom (chcolate layer) and frosted the outside with BC and covered with ganache. The top was yellow cake, and I put filling between the top and bottom (helps to keep the top on) of french vanilla and raspberry. Covered the top with BC . It does product very tall slices if you slice the whole thing.

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:42am
post #17 of 42

Yikes!!! I could not imagine eating a tall slice of cake, I would have to skip a meal, lol. I think if I were to purchase the pan, I would separate the top and bottom and pretty much treat it like a wedding cake as far as slicing goes. The possibilities are endless the more I sit here and think about how to decorate that cake, like I said my fear is baking that monster, lol. Either way, the pan is still adorable and from what I have seen everyone who has decorated one of those cakes, they do look fabulous. Good luck and I look forward to seeing how it comes out and how more bakers decorate them.

Sincerely,
Veronica

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:50am
post #18 of 42

I was already planning to make my son a huge cupcake for his July birthday and then I saw this pan come out and had to get it! It looks cute!

Seems like you could bake both, and then maybe pull the top out and finish baking the bottom? I'll see what happens when I try it the first time. Very cute pan. I used a coupon, seems like all Wilton stuff that comes out these days is overpriced but just right with a Michael's or ACMoore coupon.

kellieschwabl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellieschwabl Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:53am
post #19 of 42

I've made these a few times and charge $30 for them. I've baked both at the same time and had no problems. I use one double recipe of frosting and don't have a problem.

floophs Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:13pm
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by floophs

Assuming it is the Wilton cupcake pan, I would like to know how many it will serve.

I was at Target today and saw a magazine (can't remember the name of it) that had this cupcake on the cover and it said it serves 16.

I'm excited...I just got a 50% coupon for JoAnn's so I'm gonna pick one up. thumbs_up.gif

Bohnlo Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:44pm
post #21 of 42

I was just at Williams-Sonoma and found that they have a similar cupcake pan as the Wilton one, but the bottom half of the cupcake is indented underneath so it will hold the same amount of batter as the top half. Some of you may actually have this pan which could be baked at the same time.

floophs Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:48pm
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohnlo

I was just at Williams-Sonoma and found that they have a similar cupcake pan as the Wilton one, but the bottom half of the cupcake is indented underneath so it will hold the same amount of batter as the top half. Some of you may actually have this pan which could be baked at the same time.

Did you happen to look at how much it costs?

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:54pm
post #23 of 42

I'm all ears! icon_razz.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:00pm
post #24 of 42

I have the Wilton one ! I got it when it first came out and found it for 20$ at local cake supply !

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:01pm
post #25 of 42

It is 35$, here is the link....

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/srch/index.cfm?words=cupcake

HTH , it looks cute icon_smile.gif

CakeLadyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLadyM Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:20pm
post #26 of 42

Ummm....here's a novel idea:

Put both pans into the oven to bake and take one out when it's done. Leave the other one 'til it's done. Sheesh!

Bohnlo Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:03pm
post #27 of 42

The one at Williams-Sonoma was in a display with cupcake mixes from Sprinkles (the cupcake store popular in California & some other places) in fact they have a stack of instruction cards saying to use the sprinkles cupcake mixes , I think they sell for about $18.00 per pkg. WOW thats a lot for a batch of cupcakes. Now why didn't I think of that?

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:31pm
post #28 of 42

WOW! Thanks for all the awesome replies, questions, thoughts, suggestions, it's great. Let me try to answer some of the questions that came along.

Yes, the pan I'm using is the Wilton Dimension Cupcake cake pan, here's the picture: http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=4018F320-423B-522D-F5ECDA6F3A2ABB5E&fid=4018F33F-423B-522D-FBF3F54D6F66D28A which looks different than the William Sonoma pan, though that is cute as well.

Can this be baked in two stages? Well it's one pan so I if you filled one side, baked it and then filled the other side put it back in to the oven to finish baking both . . . . not sure how that would work or if it would work. And someone posted here that she has baked the entire thing at the same time and it turned out fine.

CakeLadyM - your novel idea would work if it were baked in two pans that were separate from each other, however, this pan is one pan with two sides. See the above link for the picture, you'll see what I mean.

As for serving, I've read on other websites what I saw posted here. Cut from top to bottom and get one long slice. Remove the top and cut both top and bottom separately. I would think you would get more slices doing it the later method.

Bohnlo - great idea filling the cupcake, that sounds pretty cool!

Well, I'll have to keep you all posted as my pan/cake is in the oven as I type. I'm been writing notes as I go along and will share the outcome - good or bad - with everyone when I'm done.

Stay tuned!

Thank you all again,
B2B

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:35pm
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohnlo

The one at Williams-Sonoma was in a display with cupcake mixes from Sprinkles (the cupcake store popular in California & some other places) in fact they have a stack of instruction cards saying to use the sprinkles cupcake mixes , I think they sell for about $18.00 per pkg. WOW thats a lot for a batch of cupcakes. Now why didn't I think of that?

I tried the Sprinkles mix once when they had it on sale and I didn't even like it icon_cry.gif Thats a lot of money to not even taste good icon_confused.gif

Bohnlo Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:01am
post #30 of 42

I wouldn't even bother buying it for that amount of money, I'm surprised they have it priced so high. For that price I could get some pretty good fresh ingredients! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%