Need Buttercream Advice Asap!

Decorating By cakewanda Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 2:08am by tracey1970

cakewanda Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 3

I have been preparing for a wedding cake and I really need help with the buttercream. I have looked at several recipes here on CC and tried one. The bride loved the flavor but I noticed it cracking when I was practicing today. I really could use some advice on that plus a step by step sure fire way to smooth the crusting buttercream. icon_eek.gif

Which of the recipes seem to be the best for smoothing and looking great for a wedding, not to mention braving the heat?

I appreciate all advice icon_smile.gif

2 replies
mindywith3boys Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:55am
post #2 of 3

How much time do you have? I highly suggest ordering Sugarshacks perfect buttercream dvd. It's worth every penny! She spells out very clearly how to get your buttercream perfect. If you order the dvd, you should get it in about 3 or 4 days. She also has a great recipe for her buttercream on this site and you can also watch her make it on you tube. Just do a search for sugarshack.

tracey1970 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:08am
post #3 of 3

I use a combo of Sharon's icing and indydebi's - both are on here. I use half butter/half hi-ratio shortening. I use the dream whip from indydebi's recipe and the hot coffee creamer from Sugarshack. It crusts well. Sometimes, I use the paper towel/computer paper smoothing method, and sometimes, I use the Melvira roller method described on this site under Articles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%