Website Question/suggestion

Business By costumeczar Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 1:45am by indydebi

costumeczar Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 7

This is kind of a suggestion/comment/question. I've noticed that a lot of cake websites that I look at recently don't any information about where they're located on them. I either have to dig through a bunch of pages to find any mention of what state they're in, or it just isn't listed at all. My question is whether this is because people are doing cakes without being licensed or what? I don't get it...They still have contact information on there, just not where they're located.

So my suggestion would be, if you don't have your city listed on the home page of your site, could you do your customers a favor and list it? It will probably cut down on random email you get from people who are 1000 miles away asking what your prices are, too. (Although I still get those even though it says in big letters on my site's home page where I'm located!) icon_wink.gif

6 replies
sari66 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 7

I do have this info on several pages and ppl still email from out of state. I think it may be because my site is on yahoo, google, msn and the like so they just don't look at where i'm located.

sari66 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 7

I do have this info on several pages and ppl still email from out of state. I think it may be because my site is on yahoo, google, msn and the like so they just don't look at where i'm located.

robinscakes Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 7

I've noticed the same thing. I've had to look at page after page and read the fine print to finally figure out where the bakery is located! I don't know why that is, either. Sometimes it's never mentioned at all, or it just says they're a bakery "in the tri-state area" or they're the best bakery "in the Bay area." Sometimes you have to look to see where they deliver, and sometimes it's just something like "we deliver to Springfield, Harland, and Westfield" Well, where the heck is that??? I like to check out different bakery's websites to see what they do and how they market themselves. Sometimes I wonder if they're located close enough to visit or if they're half way across the country. It would drive me crazy answering emails from people who were inquiring about cakes and lived 800 miles away. My bakery's address is front and center on the home page.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 7

Well like I said in another post we had four cakers turned in here recently and shut down. Scarry. And we all know who they were who did it and it's just a down & dirty nasty feeling that cakers could do that to cake buddies. I mean you just wanna hurl somewhere. It's purely mind boggling. Now this is a topic that deserves mucho ranting and raving about.

So I don't do cakes for the public and that's why I don't have much personal information on my webpage. But I'm in Elvistown TN. Memphis of course. I've been managing a bookstore and doing a few things for charity silent auctions or for friends.

Actually I'm kinda burnt out on several levels. But oh well...

I am happily in process of teaching my girl kid some of the cake stuff which is pretty cool.

Ramble much, Kate? Yes, thanks think I will... icon_rolleyes.gif

JulieB Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:08am
post #6 of 7

Maybe if you don't wanna reveal your city, maybe just the state?

If they're close to that state, they can tell by the area code.......

indydebi Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:45am
post #7 of 7

I, too, see this frequently, and it's irritating.

As someone who has edited books, manuscripts, recipe books, procedure manuals, etc., I find that people tend to write with the mindset of "well *I* know what I mean!"

I always apply "The man on the street" test to anything: If I pulled somebody just in off the street and handed them this document (or in this case, website), could they read it and understand it (well enough to do it, in the case of procedure manuals, for example).

Unfortunately, unless you are someone who writes a lot or all the time, it's too easy to fall into the trap of "well, I know where westfield is, so that means EVERYBODY knows where westfield is!"

At least put "serving central Indiana" or something.

And btw, no address info at all tends to be a big red flag for 'illegal'. This little tidbit was shared with me by someone, who is, shall we say, "in the know" on this stuff. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%