My First Cookies! Thank You Cake Central Family!

Baking By Kim_in_CajunCountry Updated 28 Jun 2008 , 11:27am by ElectricCook

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 16

I've spent a couple of months reading cookie posts and viewing images for inspiration, reading library books, and surfing cookie business' websites, and yesterday I baked my first batch of sugar cookies.

I used the NFSC recipe. I placed the cookies too close together on my first batch, but my second batch was perfect! The first batch were still good practice cookies.

I decided on a color palette and mixed up a batch of antonia74 royal icing. I think I'll use a smaller tip for outlining next time around. And I had problem with air bubbles, but I think this can be avoided by letting the icing sit a little before flooding.

You can click on this link to see my cookies. http://flickr.com/photos/kim_thibodeaux/sets/72157605627233203/ I know they are quite amateurish, but I'm proud of my first try!

I don't think I would have ever attempted any of this if it wasn't for Cake Central. You have provided me with the best free education I could ever ask for - first in cakes and now in cookies. Thank you for your willingness to share. I hope I can return the favor.

15 replies
gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 16

amateurish?? icon_surprised.gif you don't know what you're talking about. those are amazing! awesome job! icon_smile.gif

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 16

They look great! If these are your firsts I can't wait to see what you continue to do as you become more experienced! This site is the BEST!

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 16

You did a great job! They definitely don't look like firsts! Keep up the great work and enjoy!

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 16

Beautfiul cookies!!! they turned out great!

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 16

Awesome job. Now my question, where do you all get these fancy cookie cutters? example bee, bee-hive, flip flops?

nefcook21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefcook21 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 16

Those are awesome! I hope my firsts turn out half as good!! icon_smile.gif

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 16

those are just fantastic!! first time?!?! lol-i just love the little bees and the hive is so cute!!

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 16

keep it up, they are great

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 7:26pm
post #10 of 16

Go on with you, woman! They are LOVELY!!! Very fun and imaginative!! Keep keepin' on....you have the knack!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:18am
post #11 of 16

Thank you all. I'm actually blushing as I sit at my computer. I just got off the phone with MIL who was equally as impressed! And if you knew her, you would know how much of a compliment that is. icon_biggrin.gif

Champa, I think the beehive and bees came from the Sur La Table store I visited in Baton Rouge recently. I think they had HOFTB stock numbers.

The flip flop came from www.wineandcake.com, HOFTB1712.

I just checked Off the Beaten Path for them. Their website is www.cookiecutter.com.They definitely have the beehive and the flip flop. They have a bumblebee that is slightly different from mine.

I stopped at Michael's Arts & Crafts today and saw some cute little decorations that were prepainted and assembled wooden cutouts. They reminded me of cookies, so I bought several and I will use them to create cookie templates. It's funny how I look at everything through "cookie eyes" now!

Thanks again, for all the compliments. I can't wait to make more!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:31am
post #12 of 16

Wowza!! icon_surprised.gif You have definitely got a gift for cookie decorating! I really look forward to seeing what you make next, these are truly beautiful. icon_smile.gif

May I also add a HUGE kudos to you for being so thoughtful as to add the baker's/photographer's name to your inspiration photos on your Blog. That's really refreshing to see! Not many people take the time or effort to do that. thumbs_up.gif

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:15am
post #13 of 16

Champa, just googled "bee cookie cutter" and found the one I have at www.grammascutters.com and www.cookiecuttershop.com. I haven't purchased from either one, so I can't vouch.

Thanks again.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:20am
post #14 of 16

Thanks, antonia74. I am so inspired by the work of you and others and certainly want to give credit where credit is due.

At first I was saving inspirational images on my home computer, which meant I could only tell my fellow cake decorators about what I saw online. Insted of emailing images, I wanted to create an online collection of all the wonderful works I found, so I started a blog. Now my inspirations are organized and I can refer my friends to the blog.

By the way, I use free screen capture software from www.faststone.org. I like it because you can select more than just the image, such as descriptions, etc. Also, you can have the software prompt you to enter a caption, which is where I enter the website I found the image on and any other useful information. The text I enter is saved as part of the image file.

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:02am
post #15 of 16

OH MY WORD - your cookies are outstanding thumbs_up.gif
You definitely have the talent for this line of work - keep it up!

BTW - I'm in cajun country, too! I'm right down the road in Lafayette!

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 11:27am
post #16 of 16

Awesome cookies. I have that cuttter and now I will try it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%