Bleeding Strawberries

Decorating By chqtpi Updated 15 Jun 2008 , 8:18pm by BrandisBaked

chqtpi Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 6

ok..this is the second time this has happened...and i need to just fix it already icon_smile.gif

I made a cake just for a picnic..nothing special..and i sliced strawberries in half and placed them nicely on the buttercream....20 minutes later..they are bleeding/leaking and juice is running all over the sides of the cake!! what the heck!??!

I have a cake due this week that has the same type of decorations on top with sliced do i prevent this from happening?! she is picking up the cake and driving 40 minutes with it...thanks for your help in advance!!

5 replies
leah_s Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 6

That's what strawberries are supposed to do when they come in contact with sugar, especially if they're sliced.

LeanneW Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 6

how about not slicing them? or can you give them a brush with the jelly stuff they put on top of those fresh fruit tarts. I don't know what it's called.

mindywith3boys Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 6

Are you putting them between layers? And are you using a good stiff dam? I'm not sure how you can prevent this if you are putting them on top. Sliced strawberries will release a lot of liquid when they come in contact with sugar.

ziggytarheel Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 6

Strawberries + Sugar = an increasing quantity of delicious JUICE.

Whole strawberries are better, but they will also bleed a bit.

I'm afraid I know of know solution. The best you can do is add the strawberries at the last second or incorporate the juice into the design!

BrandisBaked Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 6

Sugar is hygroscopic. It will suck the moisture out of the strawberries and leave you a lovely pool.

Try dipping them in piping gel first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%