Preval Sprayer

Decorating By grama_j Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 5:15pm by Juny1980

grama_j Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:22pm
post #1 of 18

Does anyone know the ratio of dust to vodka to use with the sprayer ? I've only done it once a couple of years ago, and I've forgotten what I did.... it sure turned out nice though..... That time I used Super Pearl, this time I want to use NuSilver..... will it be shiney ?

17 replies
grama_j Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 18

No one has any tips ? icon_cry.gif

grama_j Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 18

No one has any tips ? icon_cry.gif

wgoat5 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 18

Grama I use the ratio 3:1 .. part luster/3 parts vodka also I usually add a touch of pearl to the mix also...

Remember also that if you want shiny silver you need to apply coats...apply coat and let it dry...then apply again till you have the shiny effect you want... but wait inbetween sprayings or you will have a mess icon_sad.gif

I hope this helps some!!! icon_smile.gif

grama_j Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 18

Oh, Christi, I can always depend on you ! Thank you.... do you like the Preval sprayer?

zubia Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 18

sorry to jump in but where can I get Preval sprayer? thank you

grama_j Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 18

Good morning..... I got mine at the Sherwin Williams Paint store.... You can get the extra air cans there too......

playingwithsugar Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 18

You can buy them in most hardware stores, and they're not expensive. I think the highest price I have seen for the kit (cartridge and jar) is $5, and the lowest I've seen is $3.

But I have to warn you, the Preval sprayer is one of those touchy subjects here at times, because it is not considered food-safe.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:41pm
post #9 of 18

I forgot to mention, you can also buy the empty jars and refill cartridges separately.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

zubia Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 18

thank you so much every one.

wgoat5 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:56pm
post #11 of 18

The only time I use mine is if I have to spray large areas with luster dust that will clog my airbrush... I buy a case at a time icon_smile.gif .. super cheap

grama_j Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 5:37pm
post #12 of 18

Christi, I would like this to go on crusted butter cream..... should I make it "gray" before I try spraying it , or just leave it white and go from there.

wgoat5 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 7:06pm
post #13 of 18

I'd do a gray bc first that way you have a great base color for the silver icon_smile.gif

And you are very welcome icon_biggrin.gif

joy5678 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:20am
post #14 of 18

Excuse my ignorance, but is this sprayer like an airbrush? I've never heard of it. Can you explain to me exactly what it is & how it is used? Thanks

joy5678 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:20am
post #15 of 18

Excuse my ignorance, but is this sprayer like an airbrush? I've never heard of it. Can you explain to me exactly what it is & how it is used? Thanks

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:05am
post #16 of 18

The Preval is a canned air sprayer. It isn't foodsafe because the can materials and the propellants are not of a grade/quality acceptable for use safely on food. The company does not recommend it for use on items that will be eaten or come in contact with other edibles.

Although the propellant ingredients "look just like those used in PAM & the Wilton Color Sprays", the fact is, those product cans and the propellants used in them are certified for use with/on food. In order to be certified for use on food items, those things have to have a higher degree of purity & safety than those used in "industrial" applications.

You can now buy sprayable luster/pearl dusts from several companies, including Lucks & PME.

HTH
Rae

grama_j Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:21am
post #17 of 18

Hi Joyce....... It is just a tiny tank of "air".... about the size of the spray colors that Wilton has.... The difference is that there is a "tube" attachment at the bottom of the can that fits onto a glass bottle (included)..... You put your "paint", or in our case, the vodka and Luster dust into the bottle and screw the air can onto it, and you are good to go.... We are talking anywhere from 3.99 to around 7.00.. AND.... it WORKS !!

Juny1980 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:15pm
post #18 of 18

Wow...I'm just learning about this....this is great! I'm gonna run out to my local hardware shop and picking one up...it's worth a try...at least until I have enough money to buy an airbrush machine. I've been having to buy PME Sprays...and while they're nice, they are very costly. This should help...thanks for the tip. I know I can always count on the CC community to provide good tips/ideas!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%