3D Hot Air Balloon Cake - What To Do For Support?

Decorating By lotsofsprinkles Updated 24 Feb 2015 , 8:54pm by petitecat

lotsofsprinkles Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 4:04am
post #1 of 12

Hi Everyone,

i'm thinking of making a 3D hot air balloon cake and i was just wondering how i would get it to stand up... i mean the base would be much smaller than the balloon itself... so what can i use to support it...etc??

11 replies
karateka Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 10:29am
post #2 of 12

I would definitely make a big board that you attatch the basket to. Decorate it as the ground if the hot air balloon isn't flying, and as the sky or a "birds eye view" of the ground if it is.

Anchor your balloon supports to the bottom board, through the basket. If I were doing it, my supports would be the "strings" holding the balloon to the basket. You may need a center dowel too, and you can disguise that by doing the heater on that and maybe putting a person under the heater so the dowel goes right through him.

I hope I'm making sense. Someone else probably has a great idea that I haven't thought of....

cupsncakes Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 12

Ohhh! Are you thinking of making one like the one in 'Modern Wedding Cakes and Chocolates' magazine? It's beautiful, I also looked at and thought how on earth does that not topple over??? Good luck! I hope you figure it out icon_smile.gif

BakingGirl Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 12

Maybe you can do the balloon itself in gum paste and make the cake and the basket cake. Could do it the way you make papier mache spheres by sticking it on a balloon and letting it dry. Pop the balloon when the gumpaste is dry. That way the balloon is light and easier to support. I did something similar for a sky diving topper. Mine was not entirely successful as I originally had a clear plastic stick (the type that you in flower bouquets holding the card) running through the skydiver and holding the parachute up. Unfortunately it ripped through my first sky diver so had to re-make and and use a regular thin dowel. So not as invisible as I had hoped.

Maryp55 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 12

funny that you are trying to make a hot air balloon as well, I have tried a couple of things and on my third, I think this time it should work. I tried the paper mache idea, it was my 1st thought, but when the gum paste is wet it is too heavy for the balloon to hold up making it difficult to cover, so on to next idea....I took the gum paste and formed it over a 1/2 ball pan and thought if I attach pcs to it to form the sides but again no go. My next attempt is to use the ball pan but inverted, form the gum paste inside and then put a balloon in and work it up the sides....I figure if I put shortening on the balloon hopefully the gum paste will stick and once dried pop the balloon and attach 3 to 4 dowel on the inside with royal icing. Once that is dry I'll turn it out of the pan and prop it in styrofoam to decorate. As for the basket, I am making a 3"x3" inch cake and frosting it with a basket weave design and then push the dowels into it at the delivery sight. I'm praying this works as I'm making this a topper for my daughter's wedding shower since her finance proposed on a hot air balloon. Let me know if this works out for you.

Maryp55 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 12

has anyone figured out how to do a hot air balloon as a cake topper? I'm on my 5th attempt and actually need it for this sunday, boohoo. I tried the paper mache method gum paste over a balloon and let the air out slowly out of the balloon once the gum paste dried but the gum paste didn't hold up, collapsed as the air went out of the balloon....tried again but popping the balloon and the gum paste almost shattered....3rd attempt I molded the balloon from rice krispies treats and put a dowel in the centre but the dowel went right thru and the balloon fell then my 4th attempt also rice krispies and put a cake plate dowel with a flat top and molded the rice krispy treats around it and it worked, I've covered it in fondant but it is way too heavy, I'm afraid it will not stay up in the cake.....I'm thinking of getting styrofoam balls and forming a balloon shape and covering it....it certainly would be much lighter and prob easier to cover......but any suggestions are welcome, but has to be simple at this point since the cake is for Sunday. Tks

Peanut1027 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 12

Maybe when you figure it out, you could post pictures and tutorial. I know alot of people are interested. I know I am. Good Luck and I hope everything works out of you. icon_biggrin.gif

Maryp55 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:49am
post #9 of 12

well here it is, I think I finally figured it out though I now know the mistakes I made and how to fix them, after 4 attempts at making a hot air balloon cake topper the 5th attempt sort of worked....you can judge by the picture posted on cake central under misc 3d cakes.....if you want instructions on how I did this please email me and I will be happy to tell you. I would love feed back on what you think of the final cake. Tks.

jmaloney Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 3:21pm
post #10 of 12

I would love the tutorial on your hot air balloon cake.

thank you.

shikhamj Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 6:21pm
post #11 of 12

AHi, I love your cake . I'm planning to make a balloon cake for my daughter on her 3 bday . Please can you share your tutorial on how you did the balloon cake. My email is is - houseofsurprises@gmail.com I know this post is too old I hope I hear from you

Thank you so much

petitecat Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 8:54pm
post #12 of 12

AI purchased a hot air balloon cake tutorial by Make Pretty Cakes on her facebook page. The basket and balloon are made of cakes. She has detailed photos of everything, including the structure. I haven't tried making it yet, just bought it out of curiosity. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%