Graduation Caps

Decorating By Ruby2uesday Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 7:23pm by darandon

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:06am
post #1 of 8

I was looking in the albums and saw a lot of great looking Fondant Grad Caps. can someone point me in the right direction on how to make one. and maybe a scroll? THANKS!

ruby/louisiana

7 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:27am
post #2 of 8

I recently made a grad cap out of modeling chocolate(it's in my photos). The method I used would work for fondant, just take longer to dry. I rolled out a flat sheet and cut a square, let harden. I also covered half of an egg mold and let that harden. You can connect the two pieces with icing or if using fondant you can use a small amount of water as glue. Good luck!

bubba01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubba01 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:38am
post #3 of 8

I usually make a cake in the mini wondermold pan, cut it to shape of a cap and cover in fondant. The top of the cap and tassel is made out of fondant also. It's very easy.

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:43am
post #4 of 8

how bout the tassel???? how do you make it look so stringy. they look awsome! THANKS!

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 8

If you don't have a clay gun to use with fondant use a number two tip with BC. If you use BC make sure you add some Karo Syrup so it has enough elasticity so you can pull it without breakage.

HTH

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 8

I made the tassel on mine with RI. I piped one string at a time, bottom - up.

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 8

for the three grad caps in my photos, I covered a small bowl with saran wrap, then covered that with gumpaste/fondnat mixture. let it set up just enough so that it was still a little flexible (about a day) then worked it off of the bowl. Then just cut a square out of fondant and let that dry. Once both pieces dried completely, glued them together with royal icing.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 8

I don't have it posted yet, but I just made a grad cap for a cake. I used 1/2 of the sports ball pan and for the square on top I used foam board covered in fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%