How Many Lbs Of Fondant Does Michele Foster's Recipe Make

Decorating By yelle66 Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 7:39pm by DuckyChickenLady

yelle66 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 18

Just wondering for planning purposes. Also, I do love the taste, but does it work out to be any cheaper than store bought fondant? I know its cheaper than the Pettinice I have around here (which is 8 bucks for a lb and a half) and it doesn't taste good.

17 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 18

It usually makes about 4 1/2-5 pounds. It depends on how much powdered sugar you add. If you live in a humid area or your liquid is thinner (such as using water instead of milk, or adding other liquid flavoring), then you will need more powdered sugar. Where ever you are or what you add, the test is when the fondant no longer droops down the dough hook. I know, I know, this is highly technical icon_biggrin.gif , but it works. When in doubt, knead in extra powdered sugar. Be sure to let in rest over night before using it. It's also important to use the measured amount of gelatin. Otherwise, you might end up with a large rubber ball. This can be fixed by knead it into softer fondant. It's not fun, but it is a killer work out. icon_smile.gif

As for the cost, the whole batch can cost less than $5. Most of this depends on the price of the powdered sugar.

HTH

Michele

puzzlegut Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:24am
post #3 of 18

I made it for the first time last week and mine weighed out at about 5 pounds 10 ounces.

jessfmaldonado Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:30am
post #4 of 18

How long is the fondant good for?? Should I refridgerate it if I am going to make alot and keep it for a while??

By the way Michelle, yours is the only fondant that I have been using on all of my cakes and cookies now. My orders have been only fondant because I let them taste this fondant and they want it!! It's wonderful, Thanks. I still need to get your recipe book, I do have your Dvd and its great!

Sugarflowers Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:43am
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessfmaldonado

How long is the fondant good for?? Should I refridgerate it if I am going to make alot and keep it for a while??

By the way Michelle, yours is the only fondant that I have been using on all of my cakes and cookies now. My orders have been only fondant because I let them taste this fondant and they want it!! It's wonderful, Thanks. I still need to get your recipe book, I do have your Dvd and its great!

Thanks! I'm so glad you like the DVD and the fondant recipe. When people taste good fondant, then they usually decide to order it, which of course is a more expensive cake! icon_smile.gif

The fondant will keep at room temperature for at least a month. Don't refrigerate it. The humidity will ruin it. It will freeze beautifully. When you need it again, let it come to room temperature on it's own. Don't nuke it. This will crystallize the sugar and sometimes can overheat in the center and cause some serious burns.

HTH

Michele

bizatchgirl Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:56am
post #6 of 18

Off topic, but you seem to be a good source for fondant info Michele! I made fondant decorations. Wilton's fondant, no gumpaste added. The shower was postponed for 3 weeks. What is the best way to store the decorations? I always recommend that they not be eaten anyway, since Wilton's doesn't taste good. Will they still be good in 3 weeks, as decoration only and not food?

calynmom Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:02am
post #7 of 18

I used her fondant recipe for my elmo cake and and the one batch covered a 2 layer 6 in cake and a 2 layer 8 inch cake. with some extra.

I had made it on a Wednesday and didn't put it on the cake until Friday night at a location 3 hours away.

I made sure I wrapped it tightly in that press and seal wrap and it stayed great !!!!!

Sugarflowers Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:05am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizatchgirl

Off topic, but you seem to be a good source for fondant info Michele! I made fondant decorations. Wilton's fondant, no gumpaste added. The shower was postponed for 3 weeks. What is the best way to store the decorations? I always recommend that they not be eaten anyway, since Wilton's doesn't taste good. Will they still be good in 3 weeks, as decoration only and not food?

If you put them in an airtight container and away from any light source, they will be fine. They do need to be completely dry first though. If you have high humidity, you can use those little silica gel packets in with your decorations as a precaution.

HTH

Michele

bizatchgirl Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:09am
post #9 of 18

Humidity? What's that? I'm in Arizona and I don't think that word has ever made it into my vocabulary! Wasn't sure if airtight was the way to go or not. Thanks so much for your help!

YAYI95 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:35am
post #10 of 18

Is this fondant good for roses and decorations of such? I haven't used it yet, However have used the MMF and have a problem if Im doing roses or anything of that nature it always seems to stay too soft to work with...

DuckyChickenLady Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 12:38pm
post #11 of 18

Is this a recipe that's found here?
I am interested..I'll check.. icon_smile.gif

jessieb578 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 12:59pm
post #12 of 18

I'm interested as well....how hard is this recipe to make??

2sdae Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:05pm
post #13 of 18

here's a link to recipe. I have made this twice after getting michelle's recipe book, the animal cake carving dvd and her sugar flowers dvd too.
Let's just say she rocks! It wasn't difficult or take a rocket scientist to figure it out.Or I NEVER WOULDA! icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_rate-3663-5.html

DuckyChickenLady Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:16pm
post #14 of 18

Thank you so much 2sdae!
Turns out I have made this recipe before! icon_wink.gif
I lose track of stuff--I like to try new things.
I am going to look into purchasing some of her things. icon_smile.gif

DuckyChickenLady Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:30pm
post #15 of 18

Well..I ordered the cookbook & the flower dvd!
I was going to take a course..but where I live this will save a fortune in gas $$...
icon_biggrin.gif Very excited! thumbs_up.gif

Sugarflowers Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:50pm
post #16 of 18

Thanks! Your order will be in the mail today! I hope you like both.

Thanks again,

Michele

Sugarflowers Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:58pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYI95

Is this fondant good for roses and decorations of such? I haven't used it yet, However have used the MMF and have a problem if Im doing roses or anything of that nature it always seems to stay too soft to work with...

I have used this fondant to make gumpaste (my avatar), so I guess it does well for flowers. icon_smile.gif To make gumpaste add about 1 Tbsp. to approximately 1 cup of fondant. Knead the in the tylose in small amounts until it starts to become "tacky". Rub shortening on the ball, wrap it twice in plastic wrap, and then place in another airtight container. Let it set up over night and then it's ready to use.

If you know that you are going to be coloring your gumpaste, add the color to the fondant first. It's much easier to mix. Also, since my recipe does not include titanium dioxide (white food color), then it will not be pure white. You can add white to it to get it white, then add your other color for better coloration. It sounds like a lot of work, but it really only takes a few minutes to fully color the gumpaste.

HTH

Michele

DuckyChickenLady Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:39pm
post #18 of 18

Thank you Michele! I am really looking forward to getting them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%