Just Wanted To Share

Decorating By misterc Updated 15 Jun 2008 , 4:37am by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 28

I just finished a cake today. It was pretty special to me so I wanted to share.
When my Husband and I were first married we decided he should join the army. Our first duty station was Alaska. I had always lived close to my family so going there was pretty scarry for me. we also had a sweet baby boy. He was born while my husband was at basic training. Anyway, we moved to Alaska with a newborn in the middle of the winter. It was so dark. The whole thing caused some depression for me. When we arrived we went to church our first Sunday there. This sweet lady scooped me right up and befriended me. I don't know how I would have overcome my struggles with out her help. Over the next two years I had my ups and downs, I had a very dramatic miscarriage that put me in the hospital for a while and caused a lot of emotional stress on my husband and me. Once again, it was my sweet friend to the rescue.
A while later she had her baby and then was diagnosed with post pardomdepression. She was so sad and I felt terrible that I couldn't help her. When her bday came up I was determined to give her a fabulous suprise party. I saw a cake that looked simple enough in a family circle magazine so I decided to make it for her for the party(never picked up a pastry bag in my life before this). Anyway, it wasn't perfect but she loved it. My friend had a wonderful day. Overtime with counseling and medicine she got better and she continued to try and help me and others when she could. Needless to say she is very special to me and my family.

Well, turns out she is in Utah for a while visiting her husband's family while he is in Iraq. She called Thursday and asked if would make a cake for her. For time reasons I really shouldn't have taken the time to do it but I did anyway. She lives in Hawaii so this was my only chance to make one for her and she is so supportive of me and my cakes. Anyway, I just finished the cake. It is so fun to see how far I have come sense that first cake I made for her (thank you CC for the overwhelming amount of knowledge and talent that you all so willingly share!). I wish I had a picture of the first cake but I don't. I am so happy I had a chance to do something for her again. She was such a huge help to me and my family in a very dark time for us!
Thanks for listening. This post isn't really important to anyone else I'm sure but it is to me! Thanks again!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1232221

27 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 28

any post that talks about kindnesses given, received or shared is VERY important to everyone!

(hmm...Hawaii eh? --- might that not make a nice trip for you?)

GREAT CAKE!

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 28

I absolutely agree with Doug. Anytime someone wants to talk about friendship and love, it's a great time to share with everyone. Thank you for sharing, it put a smile on my face.

Beautiful cake!! I'm sure she loved it.

Kathy

denette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denette Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 28

Great Job!

misterc Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 28

Thanks guys! And Doug, yes it would be a great vacation! She has been asking me for years to come see them. Unfortunatly the airfare is just too much! icon_sad.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 28

It's a beautiful cake, both in sentiment and in appearance.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 28

What a beautiful story! The cake is lovely too.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 28

Wow !!! What a great cake and great story ! Thanks for sharring it with us !!! I have to ask though why did someone give you a mad face on the cake comments ?

nola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nola Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 28

Thanks for sharing your story.
It warmed my heart & today I'm feeling pretty blah! That's blue to the rest of the world.
Thanks again.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 8:54pm
post #10 of 28

I think you are a good, kind & loving person & so is your friend. It warms my heart.

misterc Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 8:55pm
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Wow !!! What a great cake and great story ! Thanks for sharring it with us !!! I have to ask though why did someone give you a mad face on the cake comments ?

I have no idea! I actually pmed her to ask. I'll let you know!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 9:21pm
post #12 of 28

Misterc~ your cake is as beautiful as your story! Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story in the ups and downs times in your life. A person like that only seems to come into your life but once and touches your heart forever. You are very lucky to have her!

I hope your life has turned for the better and both men are home safe. My son is in Iraq and I know that baking for them (no, you can't send to one. You have to bake for all there!!) is very special to them as well.
God bless!
Vicky

kaytec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaytec Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 9:23pm
post #13 of 28

We need more people in the world like you and your friend. Your cake is beautiful , thank you for sharing your story and your cake.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 9:31pm
post #14 of 28

What a beautiful story. Gorgeous cake.

Can you catch a military flight over???

misterc Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 9:36pm
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl5crew

What a beautiful story. Gorgeous cake.

Can you catch a military flight over???

We aren't military anymore so no. Too bad though! I would love a free flight there!

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 9:40pm
post #16 of 28

What a wonderfull story. I meet my "sister" in a simular setting. I love that we are still talking and it has been over 16 years for us. And I am positive the first cake was good. And now this one is awsome. You have grown in the sugar world.

PS the military hops only work is active duty or retired sponsor flies also, I know I want to go back to Hawaii myself.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 9:54pm
post #17 of 28

the cake turned out Fabulous! Your diamond pattern looks so good! I had a lot of trouble with that one myself!

fiddlesticks Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:43pm
post #18 of 28

misterc.. would love to know ! Cant think of anything she could have to complain about your cake ?nola...For whatever reason you have the blah,s today I hope it gets better !

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:53pm
post #19 of 28

your cake is gorgeous, and the story is heart-warming. Thanks so much for sharing both with us. icon_smile.gif

misterc Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 11:32pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

misterc.. would love to know ! Cant think of anything she could have to complain about your cake ?nola...For whatever reason you have the blah,s today I hope it gets better !

Turns out her kids were playing at the computer, it was just an accident.

Thanks everyone!

fiddlesticks Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 11:53pm
post #21 of 28

misterc... I had someone do that to me a while back to ! It was on one of my garlic bread pic,s and she said her son did it when she walked away ! He wanted to play in the fun faces !!! Oh well !!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:12am
post #22 of 28

what a beautiful cake and story! Thanks for sharing both!

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:14am
post #23 of 28

What a gorgeous cake, she must have loved it! how did you do the Eifel tower? I love that cake!

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:16am
post #24 of 28

Well, she sounds like what's called an earth angel. You are very blessed to have found one.

Oh my gosh, what a beautiful cake, too!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:20am
post #25 of 28

misterc, what island is she living on?

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 3:56am
post #26 of 28

Great cake and what a nice story. Thanks for sharing it.

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 4:16am
post #27 of 28

my friend son just got home he served 2 terms in IRAQ, and i made the cake that had the eagle popping out of the flag that someone made here in cc. It turn out so gorgeous.my friend wanted to pay me I said no way I owe him more, and I thank him for serveing my country..she still wanted to pay me I told her NO and I told her to take me to dinner one day she said yes, I told her I get payed twice she said how well I said I get to eat out and eat with my best friend..I love to give it gives me so much joy...I want to say thank you for the cake Ideal..and say you cake is gorgeous....

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 4:37am
post #28 of 28

Ditto to what Doug said!!!!

Enjoy the time with your friend and your friendship! Oh, and the cake, too!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%