Best Cookie Book For Newbie

Baking By kimmyboo925 Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 1:09am by Honeydukes

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 7

Hi guys... I am new to cookies... what is the best book out there for me to get... I need good ideas..... and to learn how to decorate....

6 replies
kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 7

creative cookies by toba garrett

heidinamba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidinamba Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:23am
post #3 of 7

Honestly, rather than spending money on a book, you will find far more fine examples of cookie decorating on this website. It's an endless source of inspiration for me and I'm sure many others. I DO have some cookie books but this website is a better source. Also, if you are looking to make a certain cookie (say, a flower cookie..) all you have to do is Google flower cookie and click on the Google Images button. It will bring up hundreds of images of flower cookies and also lead you to many good websites for decorated cookies. That's what I do anyways.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 7

go to www.karenscookies.net
she has a great tutorial

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the information! I have not done cookies, yet. But, I always get asked questions about cookies in my classes and am never sure what to recommend.

Thanks for posting the question Kimmyboo!

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:31am
post #6 of 7

Kim Boo, Cake Central's forums and photo gallery are a priceless source of information. I discovered Cake Central two months ago when I started cake decorating classes and was instantly addicted. In addition to these forums, I borrowed books from the library, and did a lot of Googling for inspiring images.

About a month ago, I began to focus on cookie decorating. Again I read all I could in the forums, borrowed library books, and did a lot of Googling. The great thing about library books is that you get to "try them before you buy them", because you really can't judge a book by its cover. I like books that have great tips and lots of good photos. I have to admit that while they probably have a lot of good recipes, right now I'm focusing on the decorative aspect and will probably stick with the No Fail Sugar Cookie reciped found here. I finally baked and decorated my first batch of cookies last Saturday, which I decorated with Antonia74's icing. Here's a link to my cookie set on Flickr. http://flickr.com/photos/kim_thibodeaux/sets/72157605627233203/. I also want to try Toba's glace on my next batch.

The books I ended up purchasing are:

Creative Cookies by Toba Garrett

Cookie Craft by Valerie Peterson & Janice Fryer

The Flour Pot Cookie Book by Margie and Abbey Greenberg (got it for $1.38 "used" on Amazon.com. Looks new to me!)

Several of my cake decorating books, like Pretty Party Cakes by Peggy Porschen, also have some great cookie ideas.

To sum it all up, the Cake Central forum family played a "central" role in helping me feel confident that I, too, could create wonderful decorated cookies. And the wonderful compliments I have gotten have given me quite the swollen head. icon_biggrin.gif

P.S. - My family also calls me Kimmy or Kimbo.
P.P.S. - You have the same birthday as my dad!

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:09am
post #7 of 7

Check this thread:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-590648.html

I ditto the suggestion for Toba's book. It is a great resource. I also love Autumn Carpenter's book -- lots of ideas and recipes. Here's her site:
http://www.cookiedecorating.com/index.aspx

Great deal on the Flour pot book, Kim inCC -- I would've liked it much better at that price!

CC is definitely a wonderful resource for ideas and information, but I love having the books. I collect them (mostly baking and cookie) and enjoy reading and re-reading them. I read cookbooks like novels! There is nothing like the tactile pleasure of reading a book. Okay, I will put my librarian glasses away now! shhh.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%