Which Would Be Best-Stacked & Tiered Wedding Cake Delive

Decorating By luelue1971 Updated 15 Jun 2008 , 12:33pm by indydebi

luelue1971 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 7

I have successfully delivered 2 tiered stacked and dowelled several times. I have a 4 tiered wedding cake to deliver on Saturday morning for a 1 pm wedding.

The cake will be 14" & 12" stacked, a 6" & 8" stacked with Roman pillars between the 8 & 12. This will all be sitting above a fountain.

Should I deliver as completely separate plates and then assemble or shoud I stack and dowel each of the 2 cake combos and then assemble the rest.

My plan is to assemble everything to show the wedding coordinator and then take is down to avoid a collision and the coordinator will stack again before the reception.

What would be the best.

6 replies
KHalstead Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 4:08am
post #2 of 7

I can only speak from recent experience..........dowel your cakes and stack onsight unless you use sps or something similar

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5971327-.html#5971327

stupid wooden dowels shifted!!! ugh~!

TexasSugar Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 5:20am
post #3 of 7

I'll let some one with more stacking/transporting experince answer that part. I did want to say though, that I do not think I would trust someone else to put the cake together later. Alot of things can happen if they don't know what they are doing.

luelue1971 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 7

Do you think it would be safer to leave it set up for 4 hours than to let the coordinator finish it.

You think there is less danger leaving it up. I'm afraid the table will get bumped and it will be gone considering the height of the cake.

Now I'm getting nervous.

KHalstead-so sorry about your cake. I had a similar experience with a birthday cake a while back but it was smaller and I don't think I had gotten my tiers level. Your cake was beautiful. Nice Save.

grama_j Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:28pm
post #5 of 7

I would NEVER let someone else mess with my cake ! YOU set it up, take pictures, and have someone sign off on it..... What if she DROPPED part of it...... then came back to you and say she couldn't assemble it because it was damaged.........

loriemoms Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:29pm
post #6 of 7

I would use SPS system , stack the three cakes for delivery and add the pillar at site. Do it yourself, it will be fine for four hours. I also wouldnt trust anyone else to set up the cake...take a photo before you leave so you can show you set it up correctly. I would also test the fountain as well, as I have had fountains not work and one time the fountain had a small crack and water went everywhere!!

indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by luelue1971

Do you think it would be safer to leave it set up for 4 hours than to let the coordinator finish it.

You think there is less danger leaving it up. I'm afraid the table will get bumped and it will be gone considering the height of the cake.

Now I'm getting nervous.

KHalstead-so sorry about your cake. I had a similar experience with a birthday cake a while back but it was smaller and I don't think I had gotten my tiers level. Your cake was beautiful. Nice Save.

Cakes will sit up all day long. I've done cakes that stood over 4ft tall, outdoors, (and it was a little windy!) and they held up fine. The pillars were pretty tall, too. Here's the pic: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=155123

Rarely do i set up a cake more than 1 hour prior to the reception, but years ago I did. Did a double tiered wedding cake with 2 fountains connected by stairs that was set up 5+ hours before the reception.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%