First Purse Cake - Need Help And Advice - Pic Attached

Decorating By mommy2djb Updated 15 Jun 2008 , 12:27am by JulieB

mommy2djb Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 12

I did my first purse cake for a birthday party today. The cake didn't look horrible, but was far from what I had envisioned. Does anyone have a lot of experience / tips or tricks to share? My fondant was horrible to work with, it stretched and tore and would not smooth out the way I wanted. And the back! Well let's just say there are no pictures of the back for a reason! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for your help!

11 replies
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 12

Oh it's adorable. And the little flip flops, too cute.

Umm, just a guess but it looks like you rolled it out pretty thin. Maybe leave it thicker next time. It will have more body yknow. I take a smooth blob of the fondant to rub and rub over the problem areas. It works better than the smoother in some areas.

And also that's why God created flowers--to cover up the booboos--ha!

vickymacd Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 12

This is the cutest!! Remember, we are our worst critics!! The only thing I would have fixed would have been your flower on the bottom in the middle.....cut off part of the flower and continued the white dots along the bottom. Other than that, perfect!!!!

mommy2djb Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks so much! You're right, my fondant was way too thin. And oh the flowers! It looked absolutely horrid before I put the flowers on! I've seen some of your purse cakes and they are amazing! I hope to be able to do it that well, someday....

weirkd Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 12

Next time try using modeling chocolate instead. I found that it works much better for things like this and if you get the brown colored it looks like leather!

mommy2djb Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 12

I've never worked with modeling chocolate. Do you roll it out and mold it just like fondant?

ssunshine564 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 12

I think it looks just fine. Practice, Practice, Practice. The next one you make will be perfect!! icon_smile.gif

weirkd Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 12

Yes. You can roll it out into a sheet like fondant to cover entire cakes or you can mold it with your hands to make things with.
But its easier to mold things with it and once you get your "look" you can stick it in the fridge and it gets firm like a tootsie roll. I use it for my stems on my pumpkin cakes and anything I need to stand up like purse handles. The only downfall is when its really hot in the house it will be hard to roll out and pick up.

mommy2djb Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:56pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks! I will definitely try that. I am excited about making another one. icon_lol.gif

summernoelle Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 11:06pm
post #10 of 12

Oh, modeling chocolate is a great idea! Thanks for the info!

icer101 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 11:36pm
post #11 of 12

if this is your first purse cake.... then your next one will be ever more beautiful..... you did a great job.... like someone said, let the fondant be a little thicker next time.... i think that will help you not have the little creases..... the flowers are very pretty on it.... and like someone said , let the border be even all around.... like for all of us... just practice... practice... practice.... be proud of this one

JulieB Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:27am
post #12 of 12

I think the purse is adorable.

You know, have any of y'all seen a picture of Jenna Bush's wedding cake? It was beautiful, but the fondant was kind of puckery. See, some of the most famous cakes are not necessarily perfect, and I'm betting dollars to donuts that nobody noticed. Those non-cake people just see the overall product and ooh and aah, and talk about it for weeks! Shoulda seen the cake a friend of mine got for a retiring nurse at work. And everyone loved it.

Yours is way cute, and next one will be just perfect!

Quote by @%username% on %date%