Dear Customer

Decorating By alicegop Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 4:35pm by playingwithsugar

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 3

FAQ:

Why does the cake cost so much?
While at the box store you can get a half a sheet cake for $20, they are using a single layer of frozen cake, cut in half and filled or just injecting filling into the cake. They are using pre-purchased frosting and a frosting comb to frost the cake... notice you can see the cake through the sides and they spent 10 minutes frosting it.

I have to make up an entire cake recipe, prepare a cake pan, bake the cake in my own oven using electricity, make a full recipe of frosting from scratch (in a mixer which also uses electricity). I have to use a cardboard circle, a knife, bowls, and spatulas to frost the cake. Then I need to wash and clean down all the surfaces, mixer and dishes that I used to make you ONE sample for a cake tasting.

IF you book with me, I must repeat this process on a much larger scale. It is like a tornado goes through my kitchen. It takes me several hours just to prepare/bake cakes and make frosting. Not to mention the frosting flowers and accents must be done in advance and those can take hours all by themselves.

At a minimum I spend 3-4 hours decorating your cake. For a larger wedding cake or a fancy birthday cake it is more like 6-10 hours. It also takes about an hour to clean up from making a cake.

Prior to my time of making the cake we will exchange several phone calls and emails and probably meet together someplace to discuss the design of your cake.

I have to use my own electricity, soap, cake pans, decorating supplies, mixer, etc.... in other words I have a LOT of overhead. So if I only make minimum wage I actually am making less than minimum wage due to the supplies I must purchase in advance and have on hand. I probably have several thousands of dollars just in equipment that I had to purchase so that I am able to create your masterpiece.

If you would like me to deliver the cake, that is another hour to two hours (don't forget round trip) not to mention gas at $4.50 a gallon and wear and tear on my vehicle.

In total I had to spend 5 or more hours planning, baking and delivering the cake plus the cost of my equipment and the cost of the supplies.

Please read this BEFORE we get together for a cake tasting so you can truly appreciate all that I do.

Okay, now seriously... I started getting more and more sarcastic as I was writing this..... Does anyone have something on their website that says basically this to inform the customer of what really is involved in making a cake. I don't want to go through all the time and effort of talking with someone, designing a cake only for them to have sticker shock.

2 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 3

LOL this is so true, but no I don't have anything like this on my website but when someone asks how come i cost more than a store cake i tell them it's the difference between off the rack and custom made.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 3

Ooh, Sari66, I like that answer!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%