3 Milk Cake....please Help

Decorating By tarheel Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 5:22pm by tarheel

tarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheel Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 5

A customer wants a 3 milk cake. I've looked up recipes but I'm sceptical that this cake can be stacked and iced like a wedding cake. This is for a hispanic girls quince (15th) birthday celebration.

I'd like to be able to make them their native cake but really hesitate. I'm sure someone in our group has experience with hispanic baking. Please help!

4 replies
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 5

I know I've seen them recently in the Spanish forums... and someone posted in the English forums a recipe from Good Eats for it. Search for Tres Leches. I'll try to see if I can find it! There was someone here who decorates them as any other cake...

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 5

I've made one before but never stacked. I think you could do it, it would need to have less milk poured over it than usual, and a good support system. You would probably need to pour the milk over the tiers and let them sit overnight in the fridge before you put any kind of icing on it...I would be worried that the milk would run out the bottom and trickle down the tiers. It has to be refrigerated so you'll have to be sure you have room for it.

Also, at least at the bakeries here, it is the most expensive cake you can order, because of all the ingredients...so before you give them a price, figure out how much your ingredients will be and charge accordingly.

And practice first...my neighbor from Colombia who cooks and sells food to restaurants out of her apartment tried to make a tres leches cake for her daughter and ended up dropping it on the floor because it was so wet it slid off the plate. (she picked it up and stuck it back together and served it icon_eek.gif )

tarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheel Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for all the tips so far. I'm continuing to do research. Since I live in an area with alot of Hispanics, I know this could be a new source of business....I'm just very cautious about adding new items to my list.

Any other comments or assistance will continue to be appreciated!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%