Fabric On Cake Boards , Also Ribbons Help

Decorating By lmluna02 Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 3:26pm by gr8_seamstress

lmluna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmluna02 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:00am
post #1 of 8

Can I use fabric to cover my board and if I can how do I prevent the cake from getting grease on the fabric. also how do you attach fabric ribbons to a BC cake, with out staining them???? I appreicate all your CAKE WISDOM..LOL Thank s in advance you people are lifesavers!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

7 replies
weefoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weefoot Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:06am
post #2 of 8

I've used fabric before on board. I just put clear celphane(spelling???) over it. That way you can still see the fabric and the grease won't penetrate the clear plastic. I've not attached fabric ribbons before but I suppose that if your icing is crusted well it won't stain much. I'm sure someone else will know.

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:08am
post #3 of 8

Some people also cover the fabric with clear shelf liner (contact paper).

mboyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mboyle Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:10am
post #4 of 8

Anyone have any other good ideas on what to cover a cake board with??? Thanks!!

BaBa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BaBa Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:18am
post #5 of 8

Sometimes I cover my cake boards with wrapping paper to match the theme of the cake. You have to cover the wrapping paper with clear contact paper .

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:26am
post #6 of 8

For the ribbon, you can iron it between two sheets of waxed paper. That will help prevent the staining.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:29am
post #7 of 8

Just so you know, there was a treat last year where someone contacted the people that make contact paper and although it is safe for us to place our glasses and dishes on. The contact paper is not food safe, so you would still have to place your cake on a smaller cake round so there is not cake touching the board.

I do this a lot and I use melted candymelts to "glue the small cake board to decorated one and it does not move.

I cannot find the post right now... I that is what I do.

Good Luck.

gr8_seamstress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8_seamstress Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 8

I have used fabric to cover cake boards, & yes I also use plastic wrap over the fabric.
In the attached picture I used Little mermaid fabric to match the cake theme.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%