What Kind Of Boards Should I Use-Picture

Decorating By karapags Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 5:04am by wgoat5

karapags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karapags Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:58am
post #1 of 8

Hi,

I am sure I am using the wrong boards for my cakes. I use the Wilton drum boards but when I made this cake and when I delivered the board started to bow and I had to make sure I held it in center and not the edges. And when the edges were bowing one of the stripes on the bottom tier started to crack I guess because it was being pushed up. The cake was very heavy.

What kind of boards should I use when it is such a heavy cake??

Thanks!!!
LL

7 replies
queenoffairytalecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenoffairytalecakes Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:08am
post #2 of 8

i know some use plywood and cover that. definitely supporting from the center is a must i think. if you can find it gator board is another option

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:14am
post #3 of 8

I've never had a problem with cake drums... even with 6-10-14 wedding cakes. Some people like to cut foamcore boards themselves, but I have trouble cutting them in a nice round circle. You could always try masonite boards... they are a bit sturdier (available online). Or have a friend or relative cut plywood or MDF boards for you.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:21am
post #4 of 8

I put my cakes on drums and then on top of masonite boards. I do all of my work like that, deliver it. Slide it off the masonite board onto the table and take my board back with me. It's more stable and less costly.

srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:23am
post #5 of 8

I have just started using masonite boards 1/4 in thick. I go to the local lumber store and have them cut them up for about 2 bucks a board and they work great. Then just cover them and make sure you get them back and reuse them.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:31am
post #6 of 8

Ive had the same problems with the stripes on cakes so now i cut them and 1/4 of an inch or a little more so that they dont go to the bottom of the cake for the same reason. the cake settles or the drum doesnt hold well and that will happen sometiems

karapags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karapags Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:44am
post #7 of 8

Thank you so much for the quick response. I use the masonite boards for my square cake and they work great. I will have to order some round ones.

Thanks again.

Kara

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 5:04am
post #8 of 8

anything over 2 tiers I use plywood bases.. for the 2 tiers I use the foam board icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%