Using Cookie/lollipop Sticks For Dowells?

Decorating By cstovall Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 4:27pm by Shelly4481

cstovall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cstovall Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:06am
post #1 of 6

HELP!!! CC'ers please advise me on using cookie or lollipop sticks instead of dowell rods. I am doing a 5 tier wedding cake in July stacked construction, tiers are 6", 8",10", 12", and 14". Will the cookie or lollipop sticks work best?...or should I just stick to the dowell rods? Please give me all the in's and out's. P.S. I hate cutting those dowell rodsicon_sad.gif, but I would hate if the cake came tumbling down even more. Thanks for your advice.

5 replies
shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 7:01am
post #2 of 6

I wouldnât do it⦠They are too thin and too sharp to bear the weight, especially on such a large cake, and Iâd think theyâd cut right though your cake rounds if using cardboard, causing a major collapse.

With that said, I absolutely hated cutting wooden dowels, mainly because I donât have the tools to make them even, and hubby found no entertainment in cutting them for me after I pointed out hairline differences in the first batch he volunteered to doâ¦

So⦠thanks to CC, I discovered bubble tea straws (or boba straws). They are just a lot thicker and sturdier than a regular straw. You can find them at a local Asian grocery store, or a restaurant supply store, or online - Amazon.com has them⦠Good luck!

cstovall Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 1:31am
post #3 of 6

Thanks the the advice Shishaka. I'll try to locate the bubble straws. I assume they are easier to cut than dowels?
Cstovall

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 6

NO COOKIE STICKS! They are nothing but tightly rolled paper and they will absorb moisture, buckle, & tumble a cake of that size.

I use the Wilton plastic dowels exclusively now and I love the results. I only need half as many as I would if I used the wooden ones. They're clean & smooth and I can cut them with my hot knife, a pvc pipe cutter, 1" rose shears, or a good serrated knife.

HTH
Rae

cstovall Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:53am
post #5 of 6

Thanks you BlakesCakes. This information about the sticks absorging moisture, etc was more than I bargined for...I didn't think about those kinds of drawbacks. Thank you again for the 411.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 6

I have to admit, a LONGGGG time ago I used sucker sticks, but used a regular straw to cover them to keep moisture away. They did work. Maybe it was just luck. But since then I have come to my senses and use the bubba straws or my Stress free supports.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%