No Flour No Sugar Cake

Baking By quilting2011 Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 8:36pm by michaeljshaw

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 7

My aunt is on a No Sugar No flour diet for health reasons-losing weight, diabetic. Has anyone makde a birthday cake with no sugar and no flour.

Thanks.

6 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 10:49am
post #2 of 7
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 11:42am
post #3 of 7

Is it just wheat flour she can't have? If so, you may want to look for low GI recipes - these are good for diabetics, and often contain natural sugars only (from fruit etc), and whole grain flours from oats, spelt etc.

There are low GI/diabetic cake recipes here:

http://www.diet-recipes-to-go.co.uk/Cake.htm

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 11:46am
post #4 of 7

A great natural sweetener is Date Sugar. It's pricey at $6/lb, but it registers very low on the glycemic index and is considered safe for diabetics. It does NOT give food a date flavor, and is sweeter than sugar so I use 3/4 cup for every one cup sugar.
For flour I use Tom Sawyer GF flour... www.glutenfreeflour.com
It already has Xanathan Gum, so there is no need to add it. I actually really like this stuff, it can be subbed cup for cup with regular flour.
I made Blueberry muffins with these two things last week and they were delish!

danasflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danasflowers Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:19am
post #5 of 7

I have not baked a cake like that but wanted to pass along a tip on a GREAT A+++++++ sugar sub. I did a bunch of research on line to try and find that one thing that will act like sugar, with out the icky aftertaste. This is what I found. It is called: erythritol. I ordered it on amazon if I remember correctly. It sat in my kitchen for about a year before I got up enough nerve to try it. I decided to bake a sugar free blackberry pie (being a cake baker I want pie!) hehe. No one could tell which pie was with regular sugar and which was with the erythritol. I am very picky and I couldn't tell either! It tasted just a sweet and yummy as the regular black berry pie. Always be careful how much you consume esp. if you are diabetic. Your body will still convert it to carbs so still watch your numbers.

Dana

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:45am
post #6 of 7

Torte that requires only chocolate, butter & 6 eggs:

http://www.ochef.com/r31.htm
(The whipped cream garnish contains 3 T. of sugar.)

HTH

michaeljshaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michaeljshaw Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 8:36pm
post #7 of 7

Hi,

This awesome brownie recipes has been making the rounds in the healthy blog arena, and is perfect for anyone practicing a
no flour, no sugar diet:
http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/2008/06/sunbutter-brownies.html

let me know if you like it!

Michael

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%