Does Lemon Curd Need Refrigeration?

Decorating By sharon57 Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 10:53pm by patrincia

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 6

I know it says to refrigerate after opening, but was wondering how long a cake with lemon curd from the jar can sit out? Thanks

5 replies
roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 6

I wouldnt let it sit out overnight because it does have eggs in it. Im paranoid about putting stuff in the fridge so if it was me id put it in the fridge. im sure it would be fine sitting out most of the day

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 6

Rose Levy Beranbaum, author of The Cake Bible, states on her blog that lemon curd was originally developed in Britain long before refrigerations was available - they would typically store it in a cool spot in the kitchen for weeks. I guess the high sugar and acid content act as preservatives. I don't know if I would try that for a commercially produced brand, but I would with a good homemade recipe. Refrigeration would obviously keep it even longer, but she says in the book that refrigeration over 3 weeks will dull the fresh citrus flavor. Hope that helps.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 6

IMO the commercial stuff will be a lot safer than fresh stuff to leave at room temp - after all, they create the vacuum on the jar lids by heating it to high temps - something that doesn't happen when you make it yourself (even though I think fresh tastes much better!). I think you will be fine for several days.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 6

You can leave it out for a while. It is very acidic and that wil inhibit bacterial growth. It has a decent amount of sugar in it as well that will also act as a preservative. I know that my lemon curd reaches 165 degrees while I am gooking it.. it takes 10 or so minutes for it to thicken up and I have checked with the thermometer.

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, commercial brands are vacuum sealed, but they might contain chemical ingredients to imitate the flavor of the sugar and acid in a homemade, non-vacuum sealed jar (sugar and acid are natural preservatives). I guess it's important to check the ingredients - then decide for yourself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%