Hot Weather Icing

Decorating By starra328 Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 12:05am by starra328

starra328 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have a recipe for buttercream that will be okay in hot weather.I'm making a 12 inch carrot cake for a wedding this friday and it will be travelling 2 hours to the venue. I would prefer a creamcheese icing recipe if you guys have one. Thanks in advance.

3 replies
stlcakelady Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 4

I usually just make a basic cream cheese frosting with part cream cheese part butter. Then I refrigerate the cake overnight. If you have the a/c on in the car, I think it should hold up. I'm sure others will suggest shortening, but I like the taste of butter. Is the event indoor or outdoor?

CakeDiva73 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 4

Sugarshack is a good recipe, or anything with little to no butter. The two times I have made cream cheese icing in the summer, they have both melted right off the cake...and they were both less than 10 minutes away. icon_sad.gif Cream cheese icing is my kryptonite!

I would try a shortening based icing and perhaps add cream cheese flavoring?? I have seen this stuff at the cake decorating store and wondered if this is when it comes in handy. Even with a good a/c, I think cream cheese might be an unstable icing for a 2 hr drive. Good luck to you, I do looooove carrot cake!

starra328 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:05am
post #4 of 4

thanks for your help

Quote by @%username% on %date%