Questions About Stacking Please

Decorating By lsienna Updated 15 Jun 2008 , 5:45am by tony_sopranos_ebony_girl

lsienna Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 6

I have never stacked cakes before and was wondering, how many levels of cake can you put on top of one another with just the cardboard in between? Should there be supports/dowels/straws in between a stacked large rectangular sheet cake? how many inches of cake below is safe to hold another cake from above?

Also, I find those boards at my local craft store and they are called cake circles-what are they called exactly - say if they are rectangular as well? Are they called cake boards? I thought cake boards are the thick boards cakes sit on that are foiled?

Where could I buy large sized thin cardboard cake circles or whatever they are called for large sheet cakes for example??

5 replies
MissRobin Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 6

Anytime you stack a cake you need support underneath, such as dowels, pillars etc. Cake circles or cake boards should be available at your cake supply or Walmart. I make my own with foamboard that I get at Walmart or Staples. I think there might be a tutorial on stacking cake on CC home page, just click on articles.

Valli_War Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 6

You will have to put dowels for each tier you are stacking. This is to make sure that the weight of the top tier is not on the bottom one and the board is supported by the dowel rods. Then you put one dowel through all the tiers in the center. HTH.

I am very new to all these, so sorry if I am wrong.

patrincia Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 6

I always found it difficult to cut my dowels all the same height. I now use straws instead. They are remarkably sturdy (just don't use the bendy parts).
Bubble tea straws are even more sturdy than regular drinking straws, but they are more difficult to find (available in Asian stores).

step0nmi Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 6

here is a very helpful article from CC

there are LOTS of tutorials in the article section here!

Quote by @%username% on %date%