I'm In Flooded Vinton, Iowa!! Long

Decorating By bearcreek350 Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 2:50pm by wgoat5

bearcreek350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bearcreek350 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 8

We just got our internet up this morning believe it or not. Had to do my baking at my sister's house yesterday because I didn't have electricity. and right now I should be decorating a wedding cake, but had to hop on real quick and release some stress!!! The rain just wouldn't let up yesterday. The wedding is south of us in Cedar Rapids tomorrow. I think I can get to the venue alright, but I don't know how the bride will. Her wedding is on one side of the flooded city and her reception is on the other side! They have one bridge open to one lane traffic!! So much of the city is under water. Here in Vinton, my parents are the only ones on their block to not get water in their house. We sand bagged for two days! Three of the ladies I work with have flooded homes. All we got was a little water in our basement cause without electricity, our sump pump wasn't working. Our power plant will have to be rebuilt I think, so they moved in huge generators and got most of the town up and running, but we are supposed to conserve big time....whew, thanks for letting me ramble!!

7 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 8

You (and the rest of Iowa) have taken a beating. It sounds like you are doing OK, all things considered. Best of luck!

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 5:00am
post #3 of 8

God Bless your heart hon. My heart and prayers go out to you and everyone who is being pounded with bad weather these past weeks and days.

I do hope things get better for everyone who has been effected, be it from rain, floods, hot temps, or tornado's. Good Luck!

God Bless,
Sharon

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 5:20am
post #4 of 8

I really and truly feel for you. I've been the victim of a couple of floods, though not on a grand scale, but I have some idea what it's like to lose so much to that unpredictible water.

Hopefully all will be cleaned up, dried up and up & running soon. And hopefully the bride has some plan in mind to get through that wedding day predicament.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 5:52am
post #5 of 8

I'm going to say a prayer for you guys tonight. Take care.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:31am
post #6 of 8

Take a look at the link in my post on another flood topic. It has some pictures of the area she is in, and some areas around me.

Thankfully some of the rivers have started to crest (although it is going to be 1-3 weeks before they are back to normal flood stage depending on the area)

There are still areas (around me) that won't crest until Monday or Tuesday and the water will be up another 1-3 feet depending on the area.

As long as the forcast hold true for the next week (little to no rain!!) it should get better. If more rain comes in like it did last week.... who knows.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5970578-.html#5970578

bearcreek350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bearcreek350 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for all the thought and prayers you all! I am leaving in about 1/2 hour to try to deliver this wedding cake to Cedar Rapids. I think I should be able to get there alright. Heard a rumor some where that the wedding is going to be at the Clarion (where they are having the reception) too. I think maybe the church got flooded. I hope not. I know there are some being shown that will be a total loss.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 8

You ALL are in our prayers!!!

If I could I would take some of the water away ... we are in a drought it seems first rain was last night... and we are still needing more icon_sad.gif .. So if I could I would take 1/2 of it.. just wish there wasn't so much devastation right now icon_sad.gif

(((((((hugs))))))))

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%