Kopykake Kroma Jet-Grrrr!

Decorating By mpaigew Updated 15 Jun 2008 , 10:20pm by Jenn123

mpaigew Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone have a Kopykake Kroma Jet? I have had mine for about 2 1/2 years, and am about to chuck it in the garbage! icon_evil.gificon_mad.gif No matter how many times I completely take the pen apart and clean it, no matter how much airbrush cleaner I use, it keeps clogging. I do use luster dust (mixed with vodka) in it, but I've always been really good about thoroughly cleaning it after I use it. Now I can barely even get water to pass through it!

Please tell me that it's not just me that has this problem? Would purchasing a new pen fix the problem, or will I need to purchase a new airbrush system?

I use the airbrush on pretty much every cake that I do; I'm so annoyed to be having this problem! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

6 replies
aundron Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 7

I'm gonna bump this one, because I need to know myself. I've only had mine for about 6 months and I've only used the luster dust ONCE and it acts a donkey!!

mpaigew Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 7

I even purchased the gold liquid luster FOR AIRBRUSHES, thinking that maybe using the dry/vodka mix was the problem, and it was even worse! I even tried thinning it out with no luck. I would like to purchase a new system, as I would like to take it into work now and then, but I'm afraid to spend the $$ on something and have the same problem. I spent about $150 on the KromaJet; I kind of lost trust now in Kopykake, so I don't necessarily want to purchase the Airmaster, especially since it's almost $100 more.

Can anyone at least recommend an airbrush system that they've had for multiple years that they haven't had problems with?

Doug Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 7

sure the needle isn't bent or deformed and needs to be replaced?

common airbrush problem

mpaigew Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 7

I don't believe the needle is bent. My dh is actually the one that cleans it, and I just asked him about the needle, and he said he checks it when he cleans it to make sure it's ok. I have a bunch of cakes coming up, so I'm going to have him take it apart again this weekend, and I'll ask him to double check the needle.

sweetcakes Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 1:39am
post #6 of 7

remove the needle and pass a pipe cleaner,(chenile stem) down through to where it will hit the nozzle, try that. otherwise you could replace jsut the airbrush as the compressor will work just fine with a new gun.

Jenn123 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 7

I always have this problem when putting anything but food color through the gun. I don't think a new gun is the answer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%