Outdoor Wedding In July

Decorating By satasmith Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 5:45am by JanH

satasmith Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 5

My best friend and I have been suckred ( i mean asked) to do a wedding cake for my best friends, sister's recpetion in July. The wedding is outdoors and she has asked us to make a three tired cake, very simple. But I am wondering if the buttercream ( i use supreme buttercream) is going to hold up in the middle of july outdoors. we're really afraid it will just melt. any tips on how to keep this from happening or perhaps a different buttercream recipe. We need any and all the help we can get!!!

4 replies
JoAnnB Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 5

If you refrigerate the cake until the last possible moment, and protect the cake under an awning or in the shade, it will hold up for a while.

If you keep the borders light, and don't have heavy decorations on the sides, it will help overall.

I don't know which recipe is the supreme buttercream, but if it is all butter, it will help to replace some of the butter with shortening.

cstovall Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:25am
post #3 of 5

All during the summer, I use a cake shortening product called vreamay. It is a high ratio shortening that "stands up" in the heat. It is great!! It won't alter the taste, look or consistancy of your icing. Use it just like regular shortening, cup-for-cup. You can purchase it from a cake decorating supply store (at least you can where I live). It is sold by the pound. I usuall get it in a 50lb. box or about $30-$35 (??). I don't use butter in my buttercream at all. (Wilton version of "class" buttercream) I hope this is helpful.

satasmith Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 4:52am
post #4 of 5

thanks guys for the advice. I will let you all know how it turns out. We have a while to do it but I found out tonight that we are also doing a grooms cake. We are such pushovers!!!! icon_eek.gif

JanH Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 5:45am
post #5 of 5

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered cake:
(Has recipes, frosting recipes, hi-ratio info and so much more.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5958955-.html

Looking forward to seeing pics of your cakes. icon_smile.gif

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%