Storing Your Cake Before It Is Delivered?

Decorating By cakesbydesiree Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 3:02am by cakesbydesiree

cakesbydesiree Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 12

Can I get some idea's as to how some of you store your cakes before they are delivered?

I have a wedding cake I am doing next month and then another in Sept. I am not officially a business yet. Though I am wanting to go in that directions.

My fridge in my kitchen is to small to hold a wedding cake, even if I took everything out of it. One thought was to store everything in my basement, were it stays relitively cool. Usually stays around 50-55 F all the time. However, I am concerned about attracting creapy crawlies. I would hate to find ants for example on the wedding cake the day I have to deliver.

I did find a commercial sized refrigerator case for sale for only $300. Would it be worth purchasing this to keep in my basement for when I am doing wedding cakes?

Also, I have read that with fondant on cakes, the fridge can create condensation on the cake. I don't want this to happen. Anybody have experience in this area? After reading this I am wondering if the purchase of that fridge would be in vain.

Please help!!!

11 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 12

I store my cakes in my garage as it is north facing and always cool.I have never had a creepy crawler yet!!That's not to say in different states that won't happen though....Buying a commercial fridge may end up being a huge energy bill every month to keep it cold and if you don't have that many orders in a week..money wasted.I refigerate fondant all the time but I am so dry here like Arizona the fondant doesn't sweat.I would think if you live in a humid state that would be an issue though...not sure what else to suggest!!

indydebi Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 4:44am
post #3 of 12

I never refrigerate my cakes. They are usually done on Thursday or Friday for a saturday wedding and sit on the counter until then.

Karabear1125 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 12

I do the same thing indydeb does. I don't refrigerate either, I box them up and keep them on either the counter or table until delivery or pick up.

danijus Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 12

I'm also having this problem. I feel limited on what fillings I can use. What do you guys use that can stay out?

indydebi Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by danijus

I'm also having this problem. I feel limited on what fillings I can use. What do you guys use that can stay out?

Buttercream icing or the sleeved fillings.

danijus Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 5:37pm
post #7 of 12

I've never used the sleeved fillings. Do you use them just like that or mix them with buttercream or something else.

indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:01pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by danijus

I've never used the sleeved fillings. Do you use them just like that or mix them with buttercream or something else.

Both. Usually straight out of the sleeve. When I make chocolate-red raspberry filling, I mix it with (you won't believe it) Walmart brand chocolate fudge icing. I made one this past week that I torted and had 2 filling layers of red raspberry creme, which was white BC mixed with the sleeved filling.

For the first time, I used the apple sleeved filling in a spice cake. The apple filling is great!!! Usually I hate apple anything because it's usually more cinnamon than apple (and I HATE it when cinnamon overpowers the wonderfully natural taste of apple!), but this was a great balance.

Tiababe Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 12

A long time ago I read another thread discussing storing cakes. A tip I have used with tall cakes is using those huge plastic storage containers (I typically use them to store my winter clothes in the basement during the summer, to give an idea of what I mean). One CCer said she uses them upside down. Meaning, she puts the cake on the lid, then lowers the container part down over the cake. You then can snap the lid shut. This keeps out the bugs.

sari66 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 9:55pm
post #10 of 12

I store my cakes in the box on the counter till pickup.

lesleyjoy Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:56pm
post #11 of 12

I am new to cake decorating and making for other people and am in the process of making some cakes so thanks for the great advice, I also have been wondering what to do with the cakes. I like the idea of the large plastic container, I guess it would stop any accidents happening to!
Lelsey icon_smile.gif

cakesbydesiree Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:02am
post #12 of 12

Thank you everyon for your advice. It is very helpful.

I usually use cream cheese fill in my spice and carrot cake. Would these cakes with the cream cheese be okay to be left out on the counter?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%