Three Tier Cake For Pick Up -

Decorating By ljhow623 Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 12:02am by roxxxy_luvs_duff

ljhow623 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 12

They want to pick up the wedding cake which is okay less gas for me to burn, but the cake is three tiers and I'm not sure how to prepare it for them. Should I stack it and dowl the cake and hope for the best or should I package each tier up, with dowls in place and have them set the tiers on top of one another when they arrive at the party? What's the best way to do this. It's a 9, 7 and 5" square tiers covered in fondant with tiny decorations in the corners.

11 replies
aswartzw Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 12

As long as no decorations have to go on afterwards, I would send it ready to stack in boxes. I've seen where people have done that before and it worked out okay.

Too many factors to consider in transporting it whole (driving too fast, tipping).

I would send some of those foam drawer liners (antislip) and put each box on those. I've slammed on my breaks before and the cake didn't slide an inch on one of those things.

ainsleyandmatthewmom Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 12

Unless they have another cake decorator on site to stack it, I'd do it at home for them. They'll make a mess of your masterpiece otherwise. icon_wink.gif Just dowel it really well and use plywood as your base (covered, of course) for stability. Make sure they know how heavy it's going to be, and that they need a vehicle with a flat area in back, like a SUV or minivan with the seats folded flat, to transport the cake. They will need to bring two people to pick it up. If one person attempts it they'll be in trouble. LOL I'd also make sure you have a specific verbal (written would be better) understanding that you are not liable for the cake once it leaves your house under their care!

Best of luck!

Edited to say I reread your post and saw that the cake isn't going to be huge. One person might be able to carry it! One non-clumsy person. icon_wink.gif

cupcakemkr Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 12

I'm thinking that the less they handle the cake the better. Maybe the best way to go would be to dowel it down the center and package it well for them. Also, maybe you can have them sign a release/waiver saying they picked it up in good order and that they understand that anything that happens to this cake after they leave your shop is their responsibility....Do you have a foam pad that they can place under it for transport that might help absorb vibration?

Good luck

gateaux Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 12

They want to avoid the delivery/set up fee. Box up the cakes seperately and let them put it together and if they mess it up it's out of your hands. You might want to write this up in your contract that you are not repsonsible for the end product as you are not delivering or setting it up. They might change their mind.

If they say they want you to assemble before they pick it up. Write that into the contract. That you are not responsible for the end product since you are not delivering it. Again they might change their mind.

Good Luck.

Homemade-Goodies Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 12

I'm sorry...too much of a control freak here...I'd spend the gas to go do it myself! Too many variables to mess it up.... However, if they insist, yes do make an addendum to your contract to advise you handed it off in prime condition.

Best of luck to you!!

aligotmatt Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 12

I had someone pick up a tiered cake a year or 2 ago, a few hours later she called me and said the top cake fell off while she was driving and she suspected it was my buttercream... I told her that sitting on the table the cake didn't fall, carrying it to her car it didn't fall, so likely it was her driving. how in the world can the buttercream be responsible?

I say dowel well with thoroughly written out instructions on how to drive. Read it to them, make them initial it, and then give it to them to take.

marthajo1 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 12

Do you have time to order a good system like SPS before or is it for tomorrow? I too would stack before they come. They most likely will make a mess out of stacking and try to blame you.

Narie Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:44pm
post #9 of 12

Ask them which way they want to do it. Explain the difficulties both ways, and then allow them to decide what they want to do. Give them very clear directions for handling the cake which ever way they choose.

luelue1971 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:52pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

Ask them which way they want to do it. Explain the difficulties both ways, and then allow them to decide what they want to do. Give them very clear directions for handling the cake which ever way they choose.

I second that.

I have had a 3 tier cake travel fine while stacked and dowelled.

patrincia Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 12

They say the only safe people to carry a wedding cake are the person who made it, and the person who paid for it. If they want to pick it up themselves, let them. I'd definitely suggest stacking and doweling it for them... also, take a photo of the cake before it leaves your house... for "insurance" if you know what I mean. Be sure to tell them all the common sense stuff too : drive slow, don't slam on the brakes, crank the AC, don't leave the cake in a hot car, etc.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:02am
post #12 of 12

I think it will be fine stacked. the cake is small enough. I just had someone pick up a wedding cake that was 6,8,10in and just told her that she needed to have someone who could hold the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%