Help! My Graduation Cap Is Drooping!!

Decorating By TammyRiley Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 5:05pm by lecrn

TammyRiley Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 5

I made a graduation cap all out of gumpaste. I was dried hard. Soon after delivery, it started to droop, I told the class to just take the cap off if it was really sagging. I did not think of temperature conditions in the hot, muggy classroom. I have to make another similar cake next week, should I cover a piece of cardboard instead?

Also, I waited too long to apply the tassel. I cracked and broke all over. Should I use straigh fondant next time for this?

Your suggestions are appreciated!

4 replies
have_your_cake Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 5

I read here on CC that someone covered a graham cracker for the top of the cap to give it more stability. I have made a tassel out of one solid piece then cut creases into it with a knife to simulate the strands. Your cake looks great in the picture. Good luck with the humidity.

sweetcakes Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:25am
post #3 of 5

a clay gun makes a lovely tassle using just fondant. next time you could cover a peice of foam core or hard surface if you think the humidity will be a problem. it was probably just the hot sticky classroom, had it gone to someones home it would have been fine.

Jenn123 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 5

I always cover a piece of cardboard for the top. It is safer!

lecrn Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 5

Definitely use a cardboard covered for the top. I learned the hard way about this myself. Thankfully, I had time to make another one. I think that the weight of the tassel makes it worse. As for the tassel, I lucked up & found a mini tassel at JoAnns in the scrap book section. Otherwise, I would use a clay gun to make the strands.
BTW your cake look great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%