Need A Good Crusting Buttercream

Baking By eekala Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 6:34pm by 2txmedics

eekala Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 5

Help! I have been looking through the recipes here for the perfect buttercream. I think I have overwhelemed myself with all the possibilities.
I have an order for a boob cake. The customer specified "no fondant". I'd like a nice creamy, fluffy buttercream that isn't super sweet. I'm guessing I should use an icing that crusts so I can smooth it easily.
Sugarshacks Icing? Buttercream Dream? IndyDebi's recipe? Or do you suggest something different? Thanks!!

4 replies
moxey2000 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 5

Hmmm? Icing that's not too sweet? That like ice cream that's not too cold icon_lol.gif ! Icing is supposed to be sweet, but some people will never be convinced of that.

I use Wilton's recipe with all Crisco and butter flavor. It crusts beautifully and then I smooth with the Viva method. Of course, there are lots of people on CC with way more experience than me and you can tell that by looking at their cakes icon_biggrin.gif !

Since I live in a very warm and humid climate I don't have a lot of choice, regular buttercream is just too soft and wilts too easily.

SuHwa Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 5

I use sugarshack's recipe and substitute 2 cups of the shortening for butter. Sugarshack's regular recipe is nice too.

Which ever version I make I add 1/3 tsp. of salt to my extracts and swirl it around until it's disolved. This will make it not taste so sweet.

diane Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 5

i read somewhere that you can add a bit of flour to cut down the sweetness of the icing. icon_wink.gif

2txmedics Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 5

Ive made the boob/bikini cake...and my customer is not a sweets lover...I found that I just add alittle more salt than it requires...and it helps...infact Ive had alot of good comments on this techinque.

hope it helps....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%