How/where To Store Royal Icing Flowers?

Decorating By maryj Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 9:38pm by maryj

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 9

So I've made my first RI daisy's and forget me nots. Now how or where do I store them and for how long? Thanks in advance.
LL

8 replies
Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 9

I am no expert on the topic, but I was told by my Wilton Instructor to store them in a dark place in a container. She instructed me not to have the lid on air tight and to crack the lid so they could breath.

Hope this helps, and if I am incorrect someone will help me out.

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 9

I am no expert on the topic, but I was told by my Wilton Instructor to store them in a dark place in a container. She instructed me not to have the lid on air tight and to crack the lid so they could breath.

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 9

I'm curious, too. I've got flowers that I made a year ago in boxes.

Obviously, it's not the best storage idea, cause they have changed colors, so I am very interested in a better way, too.

maryj Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie92869

what kind of container? Cardboard/ lined with something? Plastic lined with something? Oh so many questions. But if I don't get them off the counters my husband will be eating all of them!

pinkbeesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbeesugar Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 9

I would not recommend storing in cardboard, too much moisture. I have always kept mine stored in tupperware/rubbermaid with the lid tight. I separate with wax paper and store in the basement. Cool and Dry. I have stored and used six months later and they still always look like the first day. hth

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 9

I store mine in those semi-disposable, inexpensive Glad type plastic containers that you can get in the grocery store (the opaque/clear ones with the blue lids). I put them between layers of paper towels with the lid on tight and keep them in my cupboard. I've never had them fade and they keep for months, at least. Maybe years but I always use them up before then. icon_smile.gif

TnSwtHart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TnSwtHart Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 9

I saw another cake decorator pull out a plastic storage with dividers in it. I actually use these to store my beads. I bought it at Joann's. However, they also have them at Wal Mart or any hardware store. You can find them in the hardware section. They are often used to separate and store small nails, screws etc. hth

maryj Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:38pm
post #9 of 9

alright, I'll try tupperware with wax paper, lid tight. How about those little desicant packs you find in shoe boxes and clothes pockets? wonder if they would help any moisture problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%