Rice Crispy Treats

Decorating By icer101 Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 11:58pm by ssunshine564

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 18

how do i make rice crispy treats to model with? i need to make a mach 5 speed racer car.... thanks for all help

17 replies
tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 18

I have only molded it once,and just used the recipe on the box.I found it pretty solid.HTH

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 18

I read somewhere on here that if you want the ricekrispies to have a smoother look crush them up in a food processer first, then make them as usual. Haven't tired it yet, but am going to soon. HTH
Sherri

icer101 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 18

thanks for your replies..... they were very helpful....

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 18

I used what was on the box, excluding the butter. I let my mold sit for a couple days to let it become firm.

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 18

mommak that is so clever....let sit a few days. I've made them but in the process of assembling the cake the RKT always seem to open up and fall apart. It drives me crazy sometimes. Thanks for that tip though!

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:11pm
post #7 of 18

I found this forum helpful when making my RKT Dumbo. I used the original recipe and omitted the butter. I found it to still be rather bumpy even after crushing (somewhat) the RK, so I applied a thin layer of RI and smoothed it out prior to covering in fondant. HTH

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-543823.html

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:22pm
post #8 of 18

i like the tip on crushing the Rice Krispies...I have a ladybird to make soon and will try that technique.

why do some people omit the butter?

chovest Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:32pm
post #9 of 18

I believe it makes for a stiffer RKT.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:40pm
post #10 of 18

thanks!!

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:41pm
post #11 of 18

if you omit the butter dont the marshmellows stick terribly to the pot they are in?

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:41pm
post #12 of 18

I usually use the Rice Crispie treats that are premade they are much stiffer and less marshmallowie and great to scult. I recently made a 3D care bear and it came out great using them. Everyone also commented that they were the "best" rice crispie treats they ever had and I just laughed to myself! I get them at Sams Club they are bigger in size and more reasonable! Hope this helps good luck!

mommak Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:49pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice1230

if you omit the butter dont the marshmellows stick terribly to the pot they are in?

I've never had any problems with it sticking. I guess you could always lightly spray your pan.

mommak Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:53pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawdroppingCakes

mommak that is so clever....let sit a few days. I've made them but in the process of assembling the cake the RKT always seem to open up and fall apart. It drives me crazy sometimes. Thanks for that tip though!

Your very welcome. But I did learn the hard way. If you look in my pics my first disaster was with RKT, it was my elmo. Ohh it was not good!! icon_cry.gif

zammy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zammy Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:50pm
post #15 of 18

so, in order to do a RKT model you have to have a pan shaped like you want? Or can you model with it. I am confused as to how you do it. I am trying to make an elephant head with RKT and thought I could just model with it, its all falling apart and not sticking together. Do I refidgerate it and let it set first? *confused* thanks

chovest Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:55pm
post #16 of 18

You can model with it. Allow it to cool completely first before trying to model with it, it will be less likely to fall apart then.

icer101 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 11:43pm
post #17 of 18

the reason i asked for the recipe..... i need to model a mach 5 speed racer car.... i am not making a mold....

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 11:58pm
post #18 of 18

I used them for the first time this week to make my fish cake, it worked great!! I used the recipe on the box. I just let them cool alittle, put a small amount of butter on my hands and started scuplting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%