Divorce Cakes...have U Seen This?

Decorating By FeGe_Cakes Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 6:56am by dawncr

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 6:06pm
post #31 of 46

I guess I am the only one who finds these to be in very poor taste. The disintegration of a family, however flawed is one or both of the partners, is nothing to celebrate....and the blood/gore/murdering your spouse part is horrible.

These cakes are just a sad commentary on our society, I am afraid.

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 9:33pm
post #32 of 46

Ha Ha. I just noticed the print on the napkins in the picture of the second cake...

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:23am
post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I guess I am the only one who finds these to be in very poor taste. The disintegration of a family, however flawed is one or both of the partners, is nothing to celebrate....and the blood/gore/murdering your spouse part is horrible.

Well said cakepro, you said exactly what I was thinking. I see no reason for blood and gore on any cake. Cakes to me are to make people smile and to smile or laugh at horror or sorrow seems very low in my opinion.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:35am
post #34 of 46

I can see them as a sort of 'gallows humor'... Sometimes you have to either laugh or cry.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:01am
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I can see them as a sort of 'gallows humor'... Sometimes you have to either laugh or cry.

Perfectly said! My parents have been married 35 years and when I got divorced my mom didn't understand any of the emotions I was going through, but really came around by the time it was over after all the "bloodshed" (so to speak!). When one of my friends had a divorce party (long before my divorce), she and I had talked about it being tacky, inappropriate, divorce is nothing to celebrate, etc. Once I was in the shoes of a divorcee and she was along for the ride, both our tones changed!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:18am
post #36 of 46

Certainly not my thing. I was divorced after 17 years of marriage. I did not have a party but if I did I would have wanted my cake to have me and my 3 innocent children on it or maybe something to do with my going back to college to prepare for a self-supporting career. I was all about looking at the future and not worried about beheading my ex.

I think I would refuse to do a cake like that for a customer. I decorate cakes to have fun, that would not be a fun cake for me.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:20am
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melan

Ha Ha. I just noticed the print on the napkins in the picture of the second cake...

I can't tell what it says icon_confused.gif

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:50am
post #38 of 46

I can see where some of those cakes could be healing. You know, some will tell you to write a letter to him, telling him how you feel about him, with all the hate and everything, and then burn it. I can see how these cakes would be cleansing in the same way. There are days I would have liked to chop off the head of my abusive ex-husband. One of these cakes woulda been perfect for me, sorry. I know it's tacky, but, hey, the white trash ladies here in Nashville are making a killing off of white trash.

One of the happiest days in my life recently was when he moved 700 miles away.

Silver044 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silver044 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:25am
post #39 of 46

Yes, I know these cakes are really not the best subject in the world and very tacky. I had a very bitter divorce because he was bi-polar. My family had a small party for me. I wish I could have had a speaker(yes like a radio) made. That is a very long story but I don't think I would of had these cakes. But, I guess if you are in it for money.....

It is funny how things really do happen for a reason. I am now re-married with 3 beautiful children went back to culinary school and design cakes for a living. Yeah!

lilacc01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacc01 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:02am
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

Quote:

It is a humor website joe-ks.com.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:51am
post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

Quote:

It is a humor website joe-ks.com.

thanks!!

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 10:41pm
post #42 of 46

I call those Divorce Parties, Pity Parties esp. if they were dumped b4 the divorce.. Just like Jennifer Aniston when Brad Pitt and Angelina became a couple. She had Pity Parties all the time. thumbsdown.gif

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:04pm
post #43 of 46

I agree that a divorce is not something to celebrate, it is a sad event. I do realize that in many cases the couple may feel relieved that a volatile time has come to an end.

I don't think cake makers should pass judgment on thier customers so if I were ever commisioned to make a divorce cake I would do ask the customer requested.

I agree with BCJean that there are other things to celebrate after a divorce, like your family, friends, and other things you love.

BobbiA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BobbiA Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:10pm
post #44 of 46

I have to agree with cakepro. Leave a marriage with a little dignity and set an example for your children.

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:12am
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Well said cakepro, you said exactly what I was thinking. I see no reason for blood and gore on any cake. Cakes to me are to make people smile and to smile or laugh at horror or sorrow seems very low in my opinion.

I agree.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:56am
post #46 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncake

When one of my friends had a divorce party (long before my divorce), she and I had talked about it being tacky, inappropriate, divorce is nothing to celebrate, etc. Once I was in the shoes of a divorcee and she was along for the ride, both our tones changed!

I hear you on that. Although it may not be for everyone, I try not to judge those who do opt for "laughing through their tears." Until one has been through a particularly nasty divorce, it's hard to understand.

Most persons don't know even a fraction of the sordid details behind another's divorce. At some point, a small expression of anger and bitterness with a bit of humour helps one to cope with the constant feelings of failure, hopelessness, and despair.

Poor taste in a cake at one's own party? Maybe, but that's such a small thing compared to turmoil of emotion and trauma associated with the breakup of a family. I doubt anyone who has one of these cakes is taking their divorce lightly---probably quite the opposite. I say, let them have whatever kind of cake they want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%