Strawberry Filling That Can Sit Out?

Decorating By Gigi1973 Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 4:33pm by mindywith3boys

Gigi1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gigi1973 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 3

sorry i'm new to baking cakes with fillings other than buttercream, so any help will be greatly appreciated. i have a request for a cake with strawberrry filling, that will be covered with fondant. It is going to be a sculpted cake, so i'd like to work on it the day before. I'm assuming since it'll be covered in fondant, that i cannot refrigerate it. Are there any suggestions for strawberry filling that can last that long and not spoil?

2 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 3

How about just using a strawberry jam for filling (or if you want a thicker consistency, mix some buttercream into your jam.

FYI - I refridgerate my fondant cakes and have never had a problem (but I've read many posts where others have issues).

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 3

You have several options. You can use a strawberry sleeve. You can mix some strawberry all-fruit with buttercream, or my personal fav, you can get some bettercream (doesn't need to be refrigerated,but like whipped cream) and mix strawberry with it. It's kind of like strawberry mousse. Yummy! What ever you use, you need to make sure that you use a good, stiff dam. If you don't the strawberry could leak and stain your fondant.

HTH! ~Mindy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%