Have You Ever Use Chocolate / Fondant Transfer Sheets ?

Decorating By cerobs Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 7:12pm by elliecake

cerobs Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 9

When I go to order these sheet do I have to buy more then one for a roung 10 in x 4in.

8 replies
ibmoser Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 9

Depends on the transfer sheet - they come in different sizes. For a 10" round, you need more than 32 linear inches 4" high (allowing extra to join and match the pattern), so check the size of the sheet that has the design you want. Many sheets are 10" x 16", so you would be able to do it with one sheet only if the pattern matches up really well at the joins or if you're willing to piece in the leftover 2" strip. I'd buy two unless you can find the larger sheets. These transfer sheets are heat-sensitive, though. Most vendors ship only at your risk this time of year unless you pay a fortune in overnight shipping. Global has them thumbs_up.gif

cerobs Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 9

so a 10x16 can be used for 10in round cake

elliecake Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 9

You will definitely need more than one sheet for the full cake diameter but also because of the potential for mistakes. Chocolate transfer sheets ideally go onto perfectly tempered chocolate though when the stars are correctly aligned - and there isn't too much humidity in the air, they will go on any temperature chocolate. A cool method for adhering them to a round cake I saw but never tried is in the Martha Stewart Wedding Cake book where she says to slather on the melted chocolate to the cake sides and then quickly smooth on the precut [to size] transfer sheets. Let them dry and then pull off. This seems easier as you don't have to get the chocolate to that perfect temperature when it is still roll-able and then lift and adhere... How did you end up doing it? Also, your topic indicates that transfer sheets can be adhered to fondant - is that true? Do you need to warm up the fondant first?
Good luck - please let me know how it all turned out.

ibmoser Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 9

elliecake - Christine Schnee has developed a technique for transferring the designs onto fondant. You can read about it and buy her DVD here

Or, she wrote a how-to article in a recent ACD - maybe the last (not current) issue?

And, to cerobs - I completely forgot about the top of the cake icon_redface.gif You'll need a bare minimum of two sheets if you want to cover the sides and top of the 10" cake, three sheets for possible boo-boos as elliecake said! Also, Christine sells transfer sheets, too.

fearlessbaker Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 9

I use choc. melts for mine so that they don't need to be tempered. Have never had any problems. Bery's is a good place to purchase them. Fancy Flours has some unusual ones. If you go to the Country Kitchen Sweet Art site they have a tutorial on how to do a cake with them. also have an inexpensive video that shows the different ways you can use them. You always need more than you think though . I have Chrisitnes CD and am going to give it a try this weekend.

cerobs Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 9

do you use the Perfection Strips

fearlessbaker Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 9

Cerebs, Yes, I do. Did you see the cake with the bow? I made the bows and they took me much longer than I expected. I put my bow on parchment cake circle. Once you get the hang of these you will luv them. The trick is to take the transfer off at just the right time. If too soft no transfer; if too hard it breaks. So when I first started doing this I practiced first with just clear acetate that I had without the transfer and then sort of kept a mental note in my head how long the choc. had been on the transfer. You can tell if it's soft by touching it though. It's a cinch really. After your comfortable with this then maybe you could go to the cakewheel site and see what she has developed doing this with fondant. If you have any questions please email. I will P.M you with myemail.

elliecake Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:12pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for letting me know how to do this on fondant. I will check it out. Unfortunately I made a mistake in what I said about the Martha Stewart method - in fact you do have to paint the chocolate onto the transfer sheet but instead of waiting till the right moment for flexibility - which is hard to guage - you then wrap it around the cake almost immediately after spreading the chocolate on. This is still a much easier method than waiting to see if the chocolate is still pliable - you are essentially putting the wet chocolate strip onto the cake. I have never tried it but Wendy Kromer's cakes - which comprise most of the Martha book - look fabulous so it must work.
Good luck.
ps - I can't use the candy melts as they are dairy so I use a fine bittersweet chocolate that contains no dairy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%