No More Dh Cake Mix For Me...

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 7:09pm by Solecito

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 52

I cannot count how many times this cake mix has failed me, but I kept coming back out of habit.

It constantly falls apart when I am working. I moved to pillbury--and keeping my fingers crossed.

51 replies
BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 52

i have the same problem with DH cake mixes,dont know why,but especially the choc. flavor. i think it's just so moist,that when i have to pick it up to put one layer over the other it starts cracking or falling apart. i love the flavors and the fact that they are so moist,but it does drive me crazy when it starts falling apart!!!

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 52

That is exactly what happened to me. When I tried to do a Topsy Turvy, it was so moist the entire side collapsed.

Last week, between the cake mx and Oklahoma humidity, the cake turned to mush.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 52

I like using Betty Crocker Golden Vanilla.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 52

I'm a Betty convert! icon_rolleyes.gif I used to use DH but too moist (would fall apart part freezing took care of that issue) and then BC is generally cheaper and love what they do to their cakes!

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 5:45am
post #6 of 52

I kicked DH out of my kitchen a long time ago, due to it's texture. Moist is good to a point, but to moist isn't.

I change to Phillsbury and love it. I love using and tasting Phillsbury's vanilla or yellow cake mix with Butavan flavoring. With their chocolate cake mix,(to give it a extra chocolate kick) I will melt about 2oz. of Chirardelli Chocolate Chips and add to the mix (oh so yummy).

So far I have had no trouble with this cake mix....knock on wood icon_lol.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 5:55am
post #7 of 52

That's interesting.....

I boycotted DH for 30 years (because P&G tested on animals)...

But I now much prefer DH to Betty Crocker or Pillsbury. icon_smile.gif

RuralNV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RuralNV Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 6:16am
post #8 of 52

I love DH's flavor, but found it horrible to decorate with. I read somewhere on here where a long time decorator uses DH but added an extra egg white to firm it up a bit. I have found that really makes a difference for me. Just a thought

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 6:18am
post #9 of 52

That's funny, I haven't had any problems with DH but I only use marble, banana and yellow cake, I don't like any chocolate boxed cake mix, that, I do it from scratch because chocolate boxed mix is extremely moist, almost imposible to frost! icon_mad.gif

Pat317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pat317 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 6:38am
post #10 of 52

For a novice baker...You all have left me very confused. I know from scratch is best, but sometimes you have to use a mix. Which one is the best?

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:43pm
post #11 of 52

I used to use DH with no problems, but I did firm it up with the extender recipe.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:50pm
post #12 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat317

For a novice baker...You all have left me very confused. I know from scratch is best, but sometimes you have to use a mix. Which one is the best?

Maybe in your opinion scratch is best, but MANY of us prefer mixes. I use whatever is on sale, but doctor them all with the same recipe...

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:52pm
post #13 of 52

Pat317 - experiment w/some of the cake extender recipes on this site (start w/only the higher rated ones 1st)...MichelleM77 is right

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:53pm
post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

I used to use DH with no problems, but I did firm it up with the extender recipe.

My thoughts exactly. I buy all brands whichever is on sale. I have seen that the mixes which have pudding in it to make it extra moist do very well when used in extended recipe. If you follow the box direction and add oil, it will become too moist.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:57pm
post #15 of 52

Yikes, this post has me very afraid! I'm doing a cake for my hairdresser for Sunday, and when I sent my DH to the store for cake mixes, instead of BC, he brought home DH!!!! I wasn't going to use them, but figured I'd better not waste them...I'm nervous as she has never had any of my cakes before and this will be a first impression! They are in the freezer right now! How afraid should I be??

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:58pm
post #16 of 52

Here is the one I liked to use (I was just buying regular mix, not the one with pudding):

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1977-Cake-Mix-extender.html

There is another extender recipe where you add pudding to your mix too. I've never tried that one.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:03pm
post #17 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat317

Scratch is not always "best". It totally depends on the skill of the baker. I've had too many "Oh, she makes this from scratch!" that tastes like pure crappola!!

There is such a very high skill level to being able to consistently make good tasting scratch cakes and I admire and applaud the many folks on here who do that. But to assume that scratch is always best is just not true. (we all have those people in our family, that when planning a family get together, we assign them potatoe chips and paper plates, because even THEY can't screw that up!).

My husband's grandmother said it best: She made everything from scratch because she didnt' have any choice back then. If she had access to many of the time saver foods we have now, she would have used them in a heartbeat!

But back to the topic .......

I stopped using DH over 20 years ago. As I explained to my friends, "When you're flipping a 14" cake, you need firm and solid and DH is too light and fluffy." It was like flipping jello. I've been a Betty Crocker lady for decades.

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:18pm
post #18 of 52

I've used Pillsbury as well as Duncan Hines. I had some issues with it falling in the center after baking. I recently stock piled on the Betty Crocker when there was a huge sale at Kroger and you could get the BC mix for 50 cents a box. Since I've been using them I haven't had any issues at all. I use mainly the WASC recipe and change mix and flavorings as needed. They have also worked well with the few recipes I use from the Cake Mix Doctor. For me it's going to come down to which mix is cheaper.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:19pm
post #19 of 52

So glad you started this post! All along I thought it was just something that I was doing wrong.

I made two half sheet cakes last week using DH, and when I tried to transfer one cake to the cake board it cracked. icon_cry.gif I was able to salvage it, but frosting the edges was also a nightmare. I called the customer (a dear friend) and explained that the cake looked perfect but was probably not going to be much fun to slice.

I discounted the price of the cake because I was certain that it was going to be mush under half the frosting. She called me the day after the party and said everyone raved over how moist it was. No one could tell that there had been a problem, but I'll never use DH again. I spent way too much time frosting that cake to make it worth my while. I would have scrapped it and started over, but due to my schedule I was decorating this the night before the event.

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:34pm
post #20 of 52

I'm another that can't stand using DH..Betty Crocker all the way!

yayadesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yayadesigns Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:47pm
post #21 of 52

I use only DH and haven't had a problem. However, just recently I started using the cake extender recipe from this site and I LOVE it! The only modification I make is that instead of the extra cup of sugar, I put 1/2 cup of sugar and one package of pudding in the same flavor that I am baking. The vanilla cake is absolutely awesome...it is so moist but slightly denser. I was reading some older posts yesterday about cake texture and the next one I bake I am going to try sifting my DH cake mix first. I have also tried the cake extender with DH Devils Food and it almost comes out tasting like a brownie cake, but I didnt find it was very chocolatey. I think I will try using grannys3angels tip of adding melted choco chips. If that doesnt work, I think for the chocolate I will just stick with the DH only.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:54pm
post #22 of 52

I've used DH for years, and have only had a few problems, mostly when I try to lift a layer with just my hands, instead of using cardboard or a cake lifter. I've tried other mixes and recipes, but the one that wins, hands-down, among my family and friends is still DH. I do use the WASC from time to time, and love it, but mostly, it's just the regular old cake mix. (and strangely enough, in my area it's the cheapest, as well, other than store brands)

I will try it with the extra egg, though. It sounds like it will firm it up just a touch, without taking away the moistness that everyone around me loves. icon_razz.gif

Sorry so many have had so many issues with it.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:18pm
post #23 of 52

I've been using DH for YEARS, and never a problem.... of course I substitute the oil with Mayo, so maybe that makes a difference.....

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:26pm
post #24 of 52

I can't comment on the use of DH mixes over any others because I don't use them, but I did want to say that I agree with Debi. Scratch baking is great if you know what you are doing.. but it can go south really fast if you don't. There's nothing at all wrong with using mixes (doctored or not) and one way (scratch vs mixes) isn't "best".. it all depends on your preferences, your skill level, and what your customers or family like. icon_smile.gif

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:28pm
post #25 of 52

I used to use BC but I got so mad at them for what they have done with their dumb points thing. And when they took the box tops off that was it for me.....

I use DH only now.

For those of you who switch back and forth do you not notice a difference in taste? The reason I use boxes is because I can't get consistent results at scratch and I am afraid of introducing inconsistencies..... I noticed once that the BC chocolate baked up a lot darker than the DH. (I had one box of each.)

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:51pm
post #26 of 52

I use only DH, I have used the others as well but always return to DH.

Cake is alot like icing, the weather plays a great part in your consistency and moistness.

If you live in a dry area your cake may turn out dry. If you live in an area that is humid your cake may turn out wet and mushy, you may find yourself overbaking it because it won't register as done on a tooth pick.

I suggest choosing your favorite cake mix and then try several of the Ideas that you have read on here. I have and they do work.

Thanks everyone Keep up the great tips and ideas.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:58pm
post #27 of 52

My dh brought home Pillsbury the other day, and I usually use BC, I opened it up put it in sifter, sifted into mixing bowl, A huge chunk of white Plastic was IN the mix! I wont use them again! I like my BC also!

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:09pm
post #28 of 52

For those of you who use BC and PS, how do you do an extender recipe when their mixes already contain pudding? Wouldnt adding sour cream or mayo or pudding make it uber-moist?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:29pm
post #29 of 52

Hmm I've been a faithful DH user for years. I doctor my mixes though... I felt that the other mixes were the ones that fell apart on me! Especially refrigerating the cake as well makes it easier to fill and stack.

I guess though I always use pudding mix/extra egg or a pound cake mix to firm up all my cakes.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:32pm
post #30 of 52

if you will notice, DH did change thier recipe (it no longer has milk in it). Maybe that is what you have noticed?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%