Size Of Tiers...would It Look Odd?

Decorating By emrldsky Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 2:33pm by emrldsky

emrldsky Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 7

In planning ahead for my final cake in Wilton Course III, I promised cake to my coworkers and others working on my floor. I then realized that, oops, my final class is July 3rd, and we're out of the office the 4th, but I quickly found a home for my final cake (no way am I going to try and eat that much cake, and leaving it until Monday...well, that just won't taste so great).

However, because I promised cake to people here, and I want more practice (and I know I'm just crazy), I wanted to remake the cake that weekend and bring it in on Monday. I just don't think a 10-inch bottom tier, with a 6-inch top will be enough cake for the floor (told you, I'm CRAZY!).

Would a 12-inch bottom tier and 6-inch top look really...weird? Or should I modify things a bit and do a 12-inch bottom and 8-inch top, nixing the columns? There are over 60 people on the floor here at work, and I know most of them.

And I know I'm losing out on the money. I'm ok with that at this point (maybe not ever again, but for now, I'm ok).

6 replies
jammjenks Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 7

I think the 6" and 12" will look fine. It will leave about a 3" ledge on each side. That would be perfect to garnish with flowers of some sort.

emrldsky Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks! I haven't done a stacked (well, not a REAL one) or tiered cake yet, so wasn't sure if it would look ok.

icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 7

Do you already have the cake p[ans? If so why not stack them and see what you think. I'm such a visual person that sometimes I have to give my self something to look at and judge by.

emrldsky Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Do you already have the cake p[ans? If so why not stack them and see what you think. I'm such a visual person that sometimes I have to give my self something to look at and judge by.

I only have 8" and 9" pans right now, which is why I'm hesitant. However, I DO have the cardboard circles in those sizes, so that might work!! Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 7

Here's an idea for the idea pool. If you do the 6x12, you could even push the six inch back off center an inch and put a wad of flowers on the wider part of the ledge and that will balance it out. Like the flowers would be a garland that's thick and juicy in the middle and tapers out on each end. Just a thought.

emrldsky Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Here's an idea for the idea pool. If you do the 6x12, you could even push the six inch back off center an inch and put a wad of flowers on the wider part of the ledge and that will balance it out. Like the flowers would be a garland that's thick and juicy in the middle and tapers out on each end. Just a thought.

That's a great idea! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%