How To Make Golf Balls?

Decorating By Kay_NL Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 1:34pm by springlakecake

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:08am
post #1 of 6

I need to make golf balls for a cake tomorrow and I'm just not sure how to make them look realistic! I have made balls out of candy clay and fondant, but I can't seem to get the dimples right to make them look realistic. They look more like snowballs. icon_sad.gif Any suggestions???

5 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:39am
post #2 of 6

It m ight be too late for this suggestion unless you've got a cake supply store nearby, but I made the golf balls on this cake using a candy mold and I used white chocolate. EASY! I only did a half ball, but you could easily put them together to make a full one.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1230709

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:59am
post #3 of 6

Wow, that is an awesome cake!!

Was it a Wilton mold do you know? If not I think I should have time to drive 15 minutes to another store and search. Thank you! icon_smile.gif

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:02pm
post #4 of 6

I made one out of fondant and used a floral pin to make the indentions. There's a picture in my gallery.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:03pm
post #5 of 6

Hi. I did what merissa did when I made a golf-themed cake for my brother-in-law's 30th birthday. Hmmm.... What to use for those dimples... Hold on... I'm looking around now... Don't laugh, but how about the back end of a crochet needle? (Just wash it good with soap and water first, though!) I know there are cake decorating tools that would accomplish the same thing, but if you don't have time to go out and buy/order them, this just might work (in a pinch)! Best of luck to you! icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 6

no, it wasnt wilton. I think I ordered it from country kitchens. they will ship fast, but probably not that fast!

I guess I would just make the indentations with something small and rounded, like the back of a paintbrush or something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%